Chapter 27

"Well, goodnight Tanjiro, make sure that you get a good sleep."

"Hm, where are you going (y/n)?"

"I have a mission to go on, I should probably be back by tomorrow night or the night after."

"Ok. Well be safe and come back soon. I think that our swords might be coming soon."

"Sword?"

"The nichirin blade, the sword we use that have ores that store sunlight."

"I get one of those?!"

"Yea, why wouldn't you?"

"I have my own swords, but I guess wisteria will only get me so far. Well, goodnight Tanjiro."

[Tanjiro is getting very close to finally getting the constant breathing technique. Maybe I should train him when he gets his new sword, or maybe I could ask Rengoku-san if he knows that. ]

When I reached the town, it was around noon. I walked around to see if there was anyone I could ask for clues since the town was massive. In the end, there was no one willing to talk, so I went to the roofs and started to look from a different perspective. (c/n) was looking around too and reporting back what she saw.

"From the number of attacks per night, we can't rule out the possibility that there might be more than one demon here."

"Caw, yes, there are no patterns, caw."

"Make sure that you stay close to me."

(C/n) and I had come to an agreement of being quiet for the security of information against demons, and because we both don't like loud sounds. We looked around till the sun had already set and the moon was far up in the sky.

"I don't hear anything or sense anything, what about you (c/n)?"

She shakes her head and goes back to flying around the area that I am in now. I hear the flutter of paper falling from the sky and lookup. I see a card fluttering in the wind above me. When it is close to my height I stick my hand out and grab the card. I flip it over and see that it is a playing card, the joker to be exact.

[Could the demon be a gambler?]

"(c/n) stay hidden for now." I breathe out and relax the muscles in my body before walking again.

She flies into the shadows of one of the taller buildings. I take out my sword that is hanging by my leg and unsheath it. I hear something coming my way, so I turn around and slash whatever is flying towards my head. Two halves of a card flutter down to the ground.

[Another joker?]

"hehe, look what the cat dragged in, another slayer for me to kill."

I turn around and see a demon with blue hair and a skinny body. It has three eyes and its clothes are multicolored. I look them dead in two of their eyes with a blank face before looking around.

"What cat, I don't think that I was close to a cat at all today?"

"It is a figure of speech! Haven't you ever heard of it? Hey, look at me!"

"Yes, but you repulse me."

Breath of Stars: Scorpio

My clone comes down from the shadow of the building and slashes the demon's neck. The clone disappears after the demon is gone. Suddenly there is a voice next to my ear.

"That wasn't a very nice thing to do slayer. Time to die!"

"Not quite yet for me, but it is for you."

I appear behind him with my sword in hand and the clone that he was talking to has a short sword to his neck. He glows and turns into a card that flutters to the ground again. The clone disappears, and I sense the area for the demon.

[He is running from behind, but something feels off about him.]

Breath of stars: Leo

I drop down and let my sword scratch the demon coming from the side before standing up and spinning around him as he tries to attack again. He throws cards at me, and I jump to the side while cutting into his arm deeply. I slash his back before using his shoulders as a springboard and flip over him and slash his abdomen.

[He seems unusually hollow.]

He outstretches his arm and was able to rip some of the shoulder of the uniform off before I was able to move away and cut his hand off. Except instead of it falling off it burst into cards along with the rest of his body. They start spinning around me and more and more cards start appearing. They all rotate in a circle around me at a fast rate. As I am looking around for the demon, I see something glint in the moonlight.

[The cards have blades, great.]

I straighten from my attack stance and sheath my blade.

"Are you stupid, why are you putting your only weapon away?!"

"Who said that I only had one weapon?"

I slightly shrug my shoulders and my chain scythe falls into my hand.

Breath of Stars: Pisces

I have one spinning horizontally and the other vertically as I jump through the cards slashing them. Once I start slashing the cards, the rest start to move towards me and slice me. As I am dodging the flying cards, I look around for the demon and I see him on top of one of the buildings.

Breath of Stars: Capricorn

I run up the side of the building and slice at the cards as I go around them. Once they are all cut I jump up to the roof that the demon is standing on. I dodge the incoming card and throw my scythes at the demon.

Breath of Stars: Libra

"OWW! Why do your weapons hurt more than normal slayer weapons?!"

"Wisteria, also please be quiet."

Before he can say anything else I was already in front of him and sliced his neck.

[Something still doesn't feel right.]

"(c/n) come here."

When she comes out of the shadows, I see that she has no shadow on the ground.

[That is what is wrong, there were no shadows attached to any living being, even that demon didn't have one.]

"Did you complete your mission master? Caw."

"Almost, I just need to destroy the moon first."