Chapter 64

I was able to sleep for a few hours before being woken up by knocking at the door.

[Knocking? Definitely not Hibiki, so who?]

I grab a nearby hairpin and walk quietly to the door. I peer through one of the cracks in the wood and look at the uninvited visitor.

[Akira and sleeping Hibiki. Why just why?]

I sigh quietly and place the hairpin on the nearby table before audibly walking over towards the door and opening it.

"What is it that you are doing here so early in the morning? It seems that even Hibiki agrees it is a bit too early for festivities." I say pointing towards the sleeping Hibiki slumped over Akira's shoulder.

"Haha, so funny (y/n)-chan! Hibiki wanted to invite you to go river watching with both of us."

"River watching?" I ask incredulously.

"Yep, river watching. Just like the name we go and watch the river, but I promise it's more interesting than the name makes you think!" His smile grows in size the longer he talks. "It has become a sort of tradition for Hibiki and I when I return traveling."

"Isn't it a bit too early in the morning to watch the aquatic life make its way through the flowing river?"

"Nope, wrong again (y/n)-chan! Just after the sun peeks out from the horizon the rays hit the fish and rocks perfectly. It looks ethereal, almost like it came from a fairytale."

"Alright, but what is in the basket?" I ask while pointing to the large basket in Akira's other hand.

"We normally watch the river the whole day, but since we kept you out so late and Hibiki wouldn't go to sleep we decided to postpone it slightly. My little sister makes the best snacks, so I promise you that you won't ever go hungry today."

"I shall take your word on that." I close the door and get ready for the day.

***

Timeskip to the end of the day (sorry, but I'm not gonna bore you with river watching)

The day was over and after hours and hours of conversation. eating, and river watching I have come to a few conclusions. The river flows off of a cliff into a deep pool down below. Some plans are set in motion, and Akira and Hibiki's sister does make very wonderful tasing food.

***

It is now the afternoon of the day after river watching. Relaxing at the table translating the message left in the books and the room messy once again. I look off to the second hiding place where I have a few materials stashed. I can hear the upbeat chatter outside of the passing people. Festivities were gaining traction and things were being built. I walked around for the rest of the day, just wanting to explore the rest of the village that I have yet to see. I met and talked with some new people and ended stumbling upon an abandoned pathway towards the forest. I followed it curiously and slightly hopeful it would answer some questions.

The pathway is no longer visible either covered by grass, or overgrown bushes and trees. I continued on for about one to two hours longer until I stumbled upon a terribly run-down house. I quietly walk towards the entrance and see the door barely staying on its hinges. I push on it lightly and curse when it squeaks loudly. I grip the knife in my hand before going inside the house and trying to not step on the squeaky floorboards. I see a bed and a lump inside the bead, presumably sleeping. I wait for a few munited before sighing, sitting down, and speaking.

"You're breathing patterns, are faster than the average needed to be considered asleep. I know you are pretending, I am not here to hurt you. All I ask is to know if you know someone named Hibiki-"

Before I could mention his family name the unknown gendered log inside the bed sprang up and faced me with big hopeful eyes.

[Great a slightly older kid.]

"Hibiki? Hibiki sent you right? My Hibiki was the one who sent you to rescue me right? Please tell me it was him!"

I stay quiet and reach towards the blanket twisted around the girl as per her messy awakening. I pull roughly, and it straightens out and goes flying towards an old shattered piece of glass. I lean forwards and let the girl hug me and whisper in her ear.

"Yes, I am here to help. I do require some information to make a complete plan."

"Fine! I'll do anything, just help me!"

"I will get straight to the point. Why are you here?"

*hic * "They took me from my family! *hic * They said that I needed to be the next bride. *hic * Apparently the first one died in an accident. I don't *hic * wanna be here!"

"I can understand you, but I need you to stay here as to not arouse any suspicions."

"Please, Please, Please! I don't want to."

"You are safer here, rather than trying to be a stowaway. The people keeping you here need you alive, so they will not kill you. "

I reach inside my pocket and pull out a small slip of paper and hand her a writing instrument.

"Here, use this, and I will hand it to Hibiki."

I walk outside to give her some privacy and sit on a branch of a nearby tree. A slight breeze blows by, rustling the leaves and branches. I look up to the right at the mountain nearby. A feeling of familiarity hits me before a massive headache. I wince as I hold my head for a moment. I take off the mask and start to undo the bandages when I see that it is stained with blood. I take out some water and clean the wound to the best of my limited abilities. Once finished I rest my head against the trunk of the tree and let time pass. When I hear the creaking of the door, I break out of my train of thought and look towards the incoming girl carrying a parasol.

"Um, Miss? I finished, but- *gasp * You, you!"

"No need to act surprised, I could practically feel you staring at me through the window." I give her a small smirk while my eyes travel towards the younger girl standing under the tree. "Thanks for the candle little miss."

I take the slightly used candle from my pocket that the girl left in there while hugging me. With a quick flick of my wrist, I light the match and start the flame on the wick of the candle. I use it to burn the bloody bandages before using it to seal the letter closed.

"I suggest hiding those murderous gazes towards me."