Chapter 67

I let myself continue to be dragged along although reluctantly so. I listen mindlessly to the buzz of the crowd as they bring out decorations. The annoying sound of this teenager's voice is accompanied by the accidental sound of fireworks going off. The crackle they leave behind before fading away. Its residue smoke blows our way along with the incense clouds. I look at the incense decor holders. Like bells in shrines, they have ropes shaped in bows, but instead of the jingle, the incense pours through its crevices.

He starts to slow down, and I look up at the direction he is headed in. A grand house, it shows off its wealth and power yet not in a haughty way. I rub at the bottom lid of my eye after I yawn. I flick the water off of my finger before yawning again. His grip around my wrist loosens, and I take the chance to yank it out of his grasp. I carefully massage my wrist and pop a few joints and bones.

"This is our house! Come on, Come on, I wanna introduce you!"

"And you know my name to introduce me?"

He stops in his tracks before turning around and saying, "Oh, well, what is your name?"

"I am me, as you are you, but I am them as you are too."

"Soooooo... your name is mi?" (pronounced as me)

"If that is to what you will call me."

"Alrighty then, let's go! I'm sure my brothers and sisters would love to meet you."

"Mn."

I follow behind him as I hear the doors close shut behind us. The hallway is somewhat dark with little natural light. The walls are lined with paintings of what I assume to be predecessors. A mixture of oil lamps and candles light most rooms and hallways, except for the dining room. That has two large windows allowing an ambiance to be set.

I hear some chattering coming from the upcoming rooms and yawn once more before being dragged along with this man and listening to him monologuing everything about the house.

"Hey, everyone! I want you to meet someone! Come out here!"

I hear the footsteps of five other people rushing in our direction. I take a close look at the decoration biwa detailed with many diamonds. I look over at the arrival of many children.

"Everyone, this is Mi, she brought back the heirloom!"

"Really that is wonderful!"

"Thanks."

"So we cleaned this entire house for nothing!"

"Ehe, sorry." He nervously says under the gaze of the older sister.

She turns to me and bows along with the rest of them. "Thank you so much for bringing this back to us!"

"It's fine, he just dropped this when he bumped into me. Goodbye now." I give them a quick bow before briskly walking back to the front door and grabbing the handle. Before I was able to turn it a hand stopped me. It was his younger sister. She looks up at me with big eyes and says,

"Please stay, you bring back something very important to us."

"I am quite busy, and I believe that it is time I should go."

Suddenly the little girl that stopped me, stepped on her kimono and fell backward. The jade waistband decor that she was in charge of holding flew out of her hands. I step forward, wrap my arm around her waist and reach past her head with the other and grab the jade just as it was about to crash into a crevice within the flooring just wide enough for it to fall through and not be attainable.

*thud *

Everyone suddenly looks over to the assumed oldest sister who passed out.

"Is she alright," I ask as I slowly raise the girl back to her feet?

"Yes, this happens more than you think. Thankfully fate allowed you to be here today," says one of the boys that have yet to speak.

[Fate?]

"Please allow us to treat you. You have done so much for us!"

"We promise it won't be long, we just wanna say thank you for saving us twice now."

I look at the two males within their young adult years and nod, "alright, but I must be going soon. The night will be coming."

"Alright! One amazing meal coming right up!"

The rest of the siblings usher me into their dining room once more and sit me down and try to start a conversation.

"So tell us about you."

"About me?"

"Yea, tell us. We wanna know about the one fate sent to us!"

"I don't believe it to be fate. He simply ran into me as I was turning the corner and ran away before noticing his missing belonging, nothing more."

One of the younger sisters turns to the boy and says, "Nii-sama, I thought you were finally going to bring home your fated one, not just bump into someone and almost lose your most precious family heirloom! Jeez, you were even going on and on about how pretty she was."

"Hey, I was telling you that in confidence that it would have been kept secret. Besides, I already told you that my fated one wasn't going to be a woman. I swing the other way. You should know that imouto-san."

[Pfft, what a great thing to learn about strangers whose names you don't even know. I want to go home.]

I look out the window and see that there is still smoke in the air. Maybe the firework accident could have started a fire outside. The rest of the evening goes by, the food smells delicious, and they showed me around their house once we were all finished eating. They finally tell me their names after a while, and I don't bother to remember them.

"It is getting late now, I wouldn't wish to intrude on the rest of your night."

Once I am finally out of the house, I walk back to the inn. The strung-up lanterns light up the pathways and I see a few of the glass murals are already being set up. I take a closer look at the one closest to me. Something about the black of the eye shimmers in the lantern's lights. I slowly reach out and touch the glass. I hear someone clear their throat behind me and I quickly turn around.

"What do you think you are doing?"

"My, would you forgive me for what I'm about to do?" I asked tilting my head and clasping my hands together behind my back.