Chapter 43

Tanjiro POV

After I left the Rengoku estate, I was walking back to the Butterfly estate. Nezuko was awake in the box, and I talked to her for a little bit. I didn't notice earlier, but I seemed more winded just walking outside than I did running up mountains.

"Am I having a heat stroke? It hurts. I'm not that weak, let's go."

In the distance, I saw a strange-looking man as I tried to motivate my body to move faster. Nezuko must have sensed my distress and started scratching at the inside of the box.

"Don't worry Nezuko. I am alright."

When I can make out the figure, I recognized them as (Hanagyuza-san). His normal mask on his face, with his hair flowing freely, holding knives while also having a few strapped to his head.

"What the hell were you thinking losing that sword, you bastard?! You deserve death!"

"I'm sorry!" I kept repeating as I run away from my certain death. He kept chasing me around with his knives till dawn.

Back to the Rengoku residence & Your POV

Once my small detour was finished, I end up having to take it back to the Rengoku residence. I knock on the door politely and both brothers answer. I drag the man I am carrying by his collar and place him in front of the doorstep, in a kneeling position.

"Now, what was it that you wished to say?"

"I'm———-I'm sorry."

"About what?" I say calmly while trying to hide the dark look I want to give.

"F-For the way I treated the both of you. I wa-as a drunken fool, who doesn't deserve to be called your father."

After he got those words out, the rest of the emotions came out. I moved off to the side when he started crying and watched the touching moment of the family. Once things seemed alright I turned away and left the family.

[Please forgive the sins I have committed kami-sama.]

A new feeling filled my chest. One that did not sit well, but at the same time also brought relief. For some reason, my mouth lacked any fluids and my heart slightly hurt. Thinking about the inky feeling only made it worse when my thoughts trailed back to what I had done earlier.

[What is wrong with me? It feels as if there is a hole somewhere. One that I have never felt before.]

The path that I was once walking on seemed slightly darker, and my surroundings seemed lackluster. I did not know how to deal with the anonymous and newfound emotion. I slip my hand inside my sleeve and pull out my Shakuhachi. It has a forest design along the sides of it and at the bottom, there is a lake. A random song comes to mind, and I start to play, hoping that the terrible feeling would go away. (play the song above if u haven't already.)

On the way to the Butterfly estate, I found Haganezuka-san threatening Tanjiro who was hiding in a tree. I quickly took away his knives, and Tanjiro was able to breathe again without fearing for his life. He quickly ran inside the estate but not before saying a quick goodbye and being polite. Haganezuka-san gave me the finished sword and told me to never act like that fool Tanjiro, who threw his sword at the demon. We had a short talk before he went back to the smith village and I went inside the estate.

I snuck into the infirmary and took my medicines before sneaking into the hallway. I was hoping to evade Shino-chan in hopes not to make her angrier towards the fact I willingly got wounded. Instead, I got antiseptic, poured over the wound and tied down to a bed to sleep. Strangely it felt nice having someone else to tend to my wounds, rather than myself. It took the feeling from earlier and made it disappear. Tanjiro came for a visit to make sure that I was doing well, and we talked about the Hinokami Kagura. I started him off with techniques to strengthen his lungs and explained a few forms for him to practice as I get off bed rest.

***

Over time I was allowed to leave the bed, but I was still confined to my room. Tanjiro seemed to be getting a hold of the basics of the few techniques that I taught him. When I could, I corrected something like his posture or some way for him to make the motion smoother. My recovery did not last for very long, and soon enough I was back at training as I waited for my next mission. Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke all got missions, but I didn't get any, even when I was cleared to go on them. Time was slightly boring, just waiting there but I made good use of it whenever I could.

Sometimes I would wander about, and I would meet the occasional pillar or kakushi. I had been able to take Muichiro out for a day or fun. We started out the morning just watching the sunrise, and laid on the hill watching the clouds. I ended up somehow getting on good terms with his crow who seemed to like him very much. After that was done, we sparred for a little bit so that we could work up an appetite. Once we were starting to get hungry, we headed to town to see if anything caught our eyes. Muichiro got simmered radish dressed with sweet miso, and I got (f/f) with oolong tea.