Chapter 42

Your POV ***

Senjuro led us inside, bandaged up our small cuts, and made us tea. Tanjiro had woken up a few minutes ago, luckily missing the second argument that I had with the older Rengoku.

[It has been such a long time since I have felt this type of anger, or should I label it as rage?]

Tanjiro apologizes for headbutting the man, and Senjuro shrugs it off. He actually felt relieved that the both of us were here since he wasn't able to say anything as his father bad-mouthed Kyojuro.

"There is no need for you to feel bad about what happened, people freeze in situations, and it is a completely normal thing to do." I raise my arm up and pat his head while giving him a close-eyed smile. I open my eyes confused when he grabs my hand and brings it close to his face.

"Nee-san, you have a snake?" Senjuro asked with innocent sparkling eyes.

I froze. Tanjiro, who was slightly loopy, still, froze. Kyojuro, who was coming from his room, froze. Everyone froze except for (s/n) and Senjuro. Once the words finally processed in my mind my face burned a bright crimson. The next thing we heard was sputtering coming from a flushed Kyojuro who was behind us. His mind supplying a different response than my own.

"Ah, nii-san you're awake!"

"AHAHAH, yes. Thank you for letting them in!"

We talked for a little bit, drinking tea, and having a good time around each other. All of us were grateful that Kyojuro was still alive, but his eyes seemed slightly dimmer than before. His shoulders were slightly tensed, and his posture was not as straight as before. I must admit, it made me worried about him. It was weird having this feeling in my chest; I have had worries before, but not as tremendous as this.

[Maybe it is just my mind.]

We laughed, smiled, and celebrated for no real reason, but to just be happy and relieved. I found out that Tanjiro had left the butterfly estate without telling anyone and being injured. [I hope that Shino-chan wasn't looking for him.] Senjuro ended up falling asleep on me, and I didn't have the heart to wake him up from his slumber. Tanjiro had left a little while ago after getting the book that was torn up. The sun was starting to set, and I found it was time for me to leave. Kyojuro and I carefully placed Senjuro in his bed before he came to see me off. As I turn around to leave, he calls out to me.

"(y/n), I want to say thank you for coming that night. Even though I was prepared to fight to the death, I am glad that the demon slayer corps has such a strong person that they can rely on as I am out of commission."

"Do not put yourself down. You are much stronger than me in many different ways. Even if you cannot fight anymore, I am certain that you will find a way to help. Just because you cannot fight, does not make you useless."

Big arms went around me, and I found myself going headfirst into Kyojuro's chest. He was shaking slightly, and I could feel the dampness of tears on my shoulder. I embrace him back and rub soothing circles on his back. Once he is done, he pulls back and touches my forehead with his mouth.

"Eh, what was that for?"

I say placing both hands up to my head like I could take it off and see it. Once I am done looking up I see Kyojuro laughing at my face instead of answering my question. My face contorts into a pout before reaching up and doing the same thing to his forehead.

"There, since you won't tell me what that was for I'll keep doing this until you do or someone else tells me." I stand up and walk out of the household giving Kyojuro a wave goodbye, and he does the same with a slightly flushed face that I chalked up to being from crying.

[Maybe I should ask Giyuu what that means. Maybe Muichiro would know.]

Rengoku Kyojuro's flame might have died out when he found out that he could no longer fight to protect the weak, but it is now back, and stronger than ever. This time with a different reason to burn bright.

On the way back to the Butterfly Mansion I took a slight detour to complete something important, before heading back to get rest for my recuperation. I specifically took the path that leads to the closest store, and look for him. Once I found my target, I found a good place to strike and waited for them to fall into my trap.