Chapter 12

POV Tanjiro

It has been a few days since the final selection has started. I have killed a few demons already. As I am running through the forest, I see people running away from a direction.

"I didn't sign up for this!"

"What is a mutated demon here?!"

"These demons aren't supposed to be here only lower-level demons."

I run towards where the scream is coming from and see a big demon. He is green and had multiple arms. He smells terrible. As his arms sprout towards the person running away I run up to help. Water breathing, Second form; Water wheel. I slice off the arm that is holding the person.

"Hmm~ fox mask? Are you perhaps a student of Urokodaki? Tell me boy what era is it?"

"Meji."

"Damn you Urokodaki, Damn you! Unforgivable! It is a new era since I have been here all thanks to Urokodaki."

"No way no demon had ever been alive that long. The only demons supposed to be here have only eaten two to three people. The boy who was about to be eaten screamed."

"Those two children the one with unruly hair and the girl with a flowery kimono. They were the most powerful especially the boy. The girl wasn't as strong and relied on her agility."

[As he is talking about the 2 people who helped me, it sickens me, my breath hitches.]

"I have eaten 50 people. 10...12...13...you would be lucky number 14."

'What are you talking about?!"

"The number of Urokodaki's students I have eaten. They all have a fox mask that allows me to know which ones are his students. It is almost like he is handing them to me. They are all sitting in my belly."

I am so angry I lose sight of everything and just rush at him. I am not controlling my breathing, just swinging a sword. As he sends a mass of arms at me, I swing my sword cutting some of the arms. Since I am not thinking straight he can punch me in the side making me, fly back into a tree. My back hits the tree, and I fall into nothingness.

Nii-Chan!

I wake up and roll away from the incoming attack from the demon.

[I should have controlled my breathing as Sabito said.]

I stand up and look at him controlling my breathing this time. This time I can slice all of the arms headed towards me. I can smell a demon scent from underground. I jump up and the demon's arms come out from below. I deflect the arms attack with my head run across his arm slicing any arms coming my way. Water breathing, Water surface slice. I can slice off his head.

As his head is on the ground the demon, starts to cry. I can see his eyes filled with sorrow as he extends his arm out to me. I take it and pry for him as he crumbles away.

Timeskip

The final selection is finally done, and I get back to the place where we started. I see the yellow-haired person who is muttering I am going to die constantly, a girl who doesn't look hurt in the slightest, and a boy with scars and a bad hairstyle. As the two girls from before step up, they say," congratulations on passing the exam. First, we will measure you for your clothes, and you will pay for them.".

"Where is my sword?"

They ignore him and continue talking. Next, we will choose the crows to accompany you. A bunch of crows comes from the trees and land on a person. I look at the one on my shoulder.

"I don't care about some stupid bird! Where is the sword? The color-changing nichirin sword! Give it to me! He grabs the black-haired girl by the hair. Where is the sword? Give it to me!"