25

A few weeks later and my sword belt could barely fit around my stomach. "This is madness Freya you're in no shape to go scouting tonight," Finan said trying to stop me. "You need to rest, it's not just for you but it's for the baby as well." Uhtred suddenly walked into the tavern's room and his eyes locked with mine. 

"Baby?" he asked, he walked closer to me and I grabbed his hand and placed it on my stomach. 

"How are we going to explain the warriors disappearance?" Finan asked. 

"I hadn't thought of that," I said and sat down on the bed, "can't you pretend to be me again?" I looked up at Finan. Uhtred sat down next to me and wrapped his arm around my back. 

"No, it would only make things more complicated. Perhaps we could say he is sick and not to be disturbed," Finan said. 

"I am not being locked in a room like some common animal!" I exclaimed. 

"She's right it wouldn't be fair," he replied. 

"But she's better protected here," Finan said. 

"I can still protect myself," I snapped. 

"Yes, while you still can," Uhtred said, "but the moment you can't you stay with the people here." 

"Uhtred that's..." he cut me off. 

"I am not putting you or my child's safety at risk," he said and cuddled me into him. 

"Plus, I also don't think you want to give birth on a battlefield," Finan said and sat on my other side. We all chuckled. 

"Now Finan, I am sure one night of patrolling won't be detrimental to her or the baby," Uhtred said smiling at him. 

"But she could get sick and then the baby could get sick and then they could both die," he said panicking as usual. 

"The moment she gets sick it's bed rest for her," he said. 

"Shut up the pair of you," I said pushing myself off the bed, my head spun as I rose too quickly and I rested a hand on the windowsill. 

"She look she's sick," Finan said. 

"Finan!" Uhtred exclaimed.

"I am not sick," I said, my gaze landed on the empty wolf mask laying on the floor in front of the fire. "Someone needs to put my mask somewhere safe till I can use it again." 

"We shall see to that when we come back," Uhtred said. 

                                                                                            ⚔

Uhtred and I walked out of the safety of the barracks and began our slow walk around the outside of the town. "When were you going to tell me?" he asked. 

"When I could no longer hide it," I said. He nodded and huffed a laugh. 

"I should have seen the signs," he replied. 

"You were too busy with getting comfortable here and commanding your men," I said. 

"I will make up for the time we have lost," he said as he paused and kissed me. He pulled back and rested his hand on my cheek brushing his thumb against my cheek. "I can't wait to meet the little warrior who grows inside of you."