16

I washed the crystal water over my skin my back to the shore, I heard footsteps approaching me I turned my head. "Uhtred, you wish to speak with me?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied.

"Can't it wait?" I growled.

"No," he answered and walked into the water fully clothed he reached his arms out to me.

"Please Uhtred, I don't want to," I said.

"Don't shrug me off, I can't have this rift between us. Freya," he turned me to face him and rested his hand on my cheeks, "we must be reunited," he brushed his fingers through my hair. "I can't have us divded I need you by my side, you fight at my side. Freya I don't want to spend another night alone."

"You weren't alone you had Iseult," I reminded him.

"She's not you," he said stroking a hand down my spine. He knew he had me stumped me. "Come back to me warrior." He kissed my head.

"Okay," I said. "But next time I stay true to my word." I gently placed my lips on his and ran my fingers through his hair.

"Thank you," he said. "Come, let's get out of this water I don't want you catching a fever," he walked out of the water with me and helped me to pull my clothes on. He handed my mask to me as we walked, "you left this."

"Thank you," I said and pulled it on buckling it up at the back. I pulled the hood up on my cloak just in time as we returned to the hall, his men were already there.

"Nice bathe?" Finan asked.

"Yes," I nodded.

"Not that it's any of your business," Uhtred said.

"Shush," I said and whacked Uhtred on the arm.

"A bit of respect for the warrior Finan," Sihtric said. I huffed a laugh, I retrieved my blade from the corner of the room and began to look over it next to the fire. I ran my fingers over the steel.

"Careful you might cut your fingers!" Finan exclaimed.

"No I won't it's blunt," I replied.

"Uhtreds not doing his job," Sihtric said.

"No, he's not," I said looking over my shoulder at him. Uhtred said nothing and took a sip from his cup.

"Exactly," I laughed and turned back to the fire.

"Looks like being your companion is looking better huh?" Sihtric said.

"Maybe," I giggled.

"You wouldn't dare, I feel betrayed," Uhtred said, I turned and looked at him as he playfully placed his hand over his heart.

"Better start doing a better job," Finan said.

"He's right," I replied. "Right Uhtred training," I slapped him on the back.

"Now?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied, "are you unprepared?"

"I am never unprepared," he said following me out in to the open.

"This should be fun to watch," Finan said following us out to open ground not far from the Longhall.

"Ready?" I asked twirling my sword around in my hand. He nodded and charged towards me but I deflected his blow with my sword, and using his momentum I tripped him up. "Focus!" I exclaimed. "Stop seeing me as your friend and fight me!" I helped Uhtred off the floor and we began again.

"Dane Slayer!" A voice called, we paused and turned.

"Skorpa?" I asked and bowed before him.

"You still have manners I see," he said walking closer and rested a hand on the skull.

"I served you once but I never forget a great leader," I said.

"Please stop," he said, Uhtred looked between us.

"What do you want?" he asked.

"I have a proposition for you both," Skorpa said.