13

A few months later...

We were still stuck on the Marshland, most of my wounds were mostly healed. I threw my axe into a defenceless tree and it struck every time. "You are much better," Uhtred said wrapping his arms around me from behind.

"Easy, I'm still delicate," I replied turning to face him.

"Sorry," he said letting go of me, and placing his hands over mine.

"I just want to get home Uhtred," I said.

"I know, I know," he replied and gently rested his hand on my cheek under the mask. Iseult joined us.

"Freya you still need to drink this to heal completely," she said.

"No," I said pushing the bowl away.

"Freya, we spoke about this," Uhtred said.

"I don't need it," I replied, I took the bowl, poured it on the ground and walked to the shelter where Alfred, Aelswith and her baby were.

"How is she doing?" I asked wandering over.

"She's okay," Alfred replied. "You're looking better."

"I am, I can walk unaided now," I said.

"That's good," Alfred said.

"When are we returning?" Aelswith asked.

"We have been getting the boats ready, and stocking the supplies," I said.

"Good, I'll be glad to be back on English soil," Aelswith said.

"I think we all will be," Alfred said.

"We will protect you," I said.

"Indeed we will, "Uhtred said as he joined us.

"You've already done enough for us," Alfred said.

"Hush, you need not speak those words," I replied.

"We are here to serve you, for as long as you need," Uhtred said, I looked at him, glaring. It began to rain again, I fidgeted and winced slightly. Iseult soon joined us and stood next to Uhtred.

"Fre... warrior, you should be resting," she said.

"I do not," I answered and crossed my arms over my chest.

"You're in no state to row warrior, I would listen," Uhtred said walking closer to me.

"Leave me alone," I said and shoulder barged him. I walked back to the beach allowing the rain to wash over me. I walked over to the nodding rowing boat and checked them over once more, a few more weeks and we would be out of here.

"No need to be so harsh on them Freya, they're only trying to help you heal quicker," Finan said walking over with an animal hide above his head.

"Only I know how I feel, no one else can tell me any different," I growled.

"Stop letting your pride get in the way. If someone who was as weak as Alfred is, Freya they would have died, but no you were blessed by Odin," he said.

"No, I'm just strong," I said. He offered me his animal hide. "No you keep it."

"Freya don't be so silly, you're going to catch a cold." he said.

"I'll be fine," I growled.

"Well at least shelter under some trees," he said leading me off the beach.

"You're lucky I give in so easily," I said leaning on his shoulder.

"Be grateful I didn't threaten your life then," he said.

"Indeed," she smiled. "Although, you'd be dead before I would be."

"You think so?" he said.

"Well I am invincible," I giggled.

"By appearance yes," he replied.