7

As my eyes opened slowly and began to focus I realized I was inside, I could smell the fire from downstairs. A bowl of water with a bloodied cloth sat on my bedside table, the room was dimly lit with candles flickering in the gentle breeze within the gaps of the roof. Fingers brushed through my hair soothing me, I turned to face the person behind me it caused me to hiss. Uhtreds eyes met mine. "You lie to me again, and it could cost you your life," he whispered.

"H...How did you find me?" I wheezed.

"I know your patterns well, however, when you did not return to the house in the evening I began to worry. I know where your spot of peace is because of the grass being pushed down, I knew you were there," he replied. "Your infection was bad, but I managed to sort it out," he gently rested a hand on my face.

"Someone wanted to make it an unfair fight," I sighed.

"I wish I could have been there to watch you slit his throat," he smiled at me proudly. "When I told Alfred of what you did, alone. He couldn't believe it, he was adamant the lord must have been with you," he laughed, which made me laugh and caused pain to shoot through me. "Easy, I don't need you breaking your stitches," he said.

"Uhtred, I need to get back out there. The men need to see their warrior still living," I told him.

"I know, but all in good time. You're far too weak to move," he said, we were suddenly interrupted by Finan.

"I could pose as you?" He suggested. "No one has seen your face."

"He has a point," Uhtred said.

"Okay, but please be careful with it, and if they give you praise which they will don't over do it," I said.

"As you wish," he said offering me a sad smile, he like  Uhtred hated seeing me in pain. "Get well, Freya," he said and disappeared back down the stairs.

I turned back to Uhtred, he gently stroked my face and offered me that same sad smile. "You know even Ragnar would have been proud of you today," he said.

"I know, if only he was here. I miss him Uhtred, I really do," I said wheezing in between my words.

"As do I, but please take it easy we have all the time to chat," he said.

"I know," I answered, he walked around the bed and carefully laid down on it and pulled me into his chest, a secure arm around my waist doing his best to not press my wound in.

"It's my job to protect you, next time we don't get separated," he said kissing my neck softly.

"I know," I said almost drifting off in his arms as fatigue took over me, I knew I would be out of it til my strength returned. I felt the bed move as Uhtred left me to rest, I turned onto my stomach and hugged the cushion under my head, giving into slumber.

A few hours later...

I stumbled down the stairs to join Uhtred at the table, "how are you feeling?" He asked.

"I've been better," I said throwing myself down next to him. Finan was sat across from him.

"You'll be glad to know that the men believe their warrior is alive, well and invincible," he said.

"Good," I replied running a hand through my braid hair.

"What's troubling you? You killed Siegfried, which tonight we shall celebrate. They won't be coming back for a long time," he said.

"It's Erik, he's going to want to kill me more than ever," I said my head dropping into my hands.

"We have men who are willing to protect someone who's face they've never seen," Uhtred said.

"I know," I replied.

"I think the blood loss has got to her, she's not the same woman who left that battlefield," Finan added.

"She's just distracted," Uhtred said.

"Well undistract her, we need her," Finan said.

"If you're talking about drinking tonight, she can't because of the ingredients in the serum I put on her wound,they won't mix," Uhtred said.

"Oh thanks for that!" I exclaimed.

"It's just to make you more comfortable till it heals," he said, gently grabbing my hand and rubbing his thumb over my knuckles.

"Every injured warrior needs a place to be comfortable," Finan said.

"No for the final time you're not moving in with us!" Uhtred and I barked.

"But let's face it, it would be fun," he laughed.

"No, my shield maiden and I require time alone," Uhtred said looking at me.

"Yes, that we do," I smiled and held back a giggle. We suddenly, heard footsteps but before I could grab my mask Uhtred pulled me into his chest cuddling me hiding me, a gentle hand resting on the back of my head. It was a few of his men I could hear from his voice.

"What is it? He asked.

"We just wanted to pay our respects to the warrior, we heard he was here with you," he said. I heard Uhtred sigh.

"He...er..." Finan began to flounder.

"He rode off to another clan, they were in need of his help," Uhtred said saving mine and Finans skin.

"Oh, will be back for the festivities?" He asked, I knew Uhtred looked down at me as I felt his chin gently rest on my head for a second.

"Yes, he will," he replied. The men then left and when they were out of sight Uhtred gently pushed me off him.

"That was a close one!" Finan exclaimed.

"Indeed, I need to keep my mask close," I said and laid my head down on the table.

"You better rest up, you're required to be there tonight now," Uhtred said and gently stroked a hand down my back.

"Yeah thanks for that," I said glaring at Uhtred.

"Then men wanted to meet their warrior and I have them that chance," he said.