Breaking Point

Diana

Our hug felt euphoric. I didn't want to let go. I barely knew Damian, but it only felt right. This felt right, and in my moment of grief I wanted to kiss him, but the news about Holden created a deep hole in my heart that needed to mend.

Only time can heal the grief I was feeling right now. So many thoughts were running through my head as I processed the information. I felt like this entire thing was my fault. The fire, meeting Holden, disregarding my father and brother... How could I give myself to someone who killed my entire family?

Tears kept falling down onto his chest. His warm chest that I wanted to wrap myself in. I still wanted to take my time, but just being near him made it unbearable. I wanted to feel the sparks on my skin, I wanted to bask in his scent, I wanted to hear his voice even if there was nothing to say.

"Diana, he did this for you, don't blame yourself." He whispered into my ear.

Could he read my mind? I didn't say I blamed myself, but it was exactly how I was feeling.

"I can't help it..."

His hands pulled me away from his chest and rested on my shoulders. Our eyes met as I looked up to him.

"He wanted you from the moment he found out what you were. Only you could give him an heir of great power. He would burn down the entire city to claim you for himself."

"I'm so foolish..." I looked down in shame.

"NO." His hand cupped under my chin and our eyes met once again.

"YOU'RE NOT FOOLISH Diana, you were tricked, you were manipulated and you were put into a corner with no-where else to go. Sometimes our mind tries to convince ourselves that our situation is ok, constantly at battle with the truth and what we desire to believe. It's only in our nature to survive and avoid pain, so take your time to process what I've have shown you. But know this, in time, Holden will come for you." Damian finished speaking, but he looked like he was holding back, like something was bothering him. We were so connected as our bodies touched; it was like I could read into his emotion. I knew there was something hidden away. A detail he kept from me.

"What else?" I asked.

"Excuse me?"

"You're not telling me everything."

There was a moment of hesitation and he breathed in deeply.

"There are some things I left out, yes."

"And that is?"

I felt his body tense up. I was scared what he was going to tell me, but everything had to be put on the table.

"Come." He released his hands from my body and headed towards his desk. He pulled the top drawer out and placed a stack of photos on top of the desk, spreading them across for me to see.

"I didn't want to show you these right away, but if I were in your position, I would want to know too. These were taken the night we came. We had drones track Holden to this location, and well... See for yourself."

I was scared to look. Was it as bad as I thought? Deep down, I had a feeling what it was.

As I turned my head down to look, I came to realize why Damian was so hesitant to show me. It was absolutely disgusting. Daggers once again pierced into my chest and heart. It was the final blow to my already fragile mind.

"IS THIS?" I gasped as I picked up one of the photos. It was a photo taken from distance, but the camera picked up everything I needed to see.

Damian scratched his head as he watched my every move. He knew this would be the cherry on top of the sundae.