New Threats, New Alliances

Diana

My heart skipped a beat when I caught sight of Damian standing at the doorway. I wasn't sure how long he was standing there, but his expression was dark, almost unrecognizable. His arms were crossed against his chest, and he was breathing heavily. I'm sure he was upset that I invited Holden in our home without telling him.

He gently placed Troy back in his crib and whispered, "I love you, don't forget it."

Damian was about to step in the room, but he could read my expression from where I was standing and held back.

He trusted me to allow this.

Holden sighed heavily as he looked to Troy one last time, "Thank you for giving me a reason to live..."

I nodded my head to Holden, then to Damian who looked like he was ready to unleash his beast. He was in shock just as me, but he was more on edge then anything else. Ever since becoming a father he had grown into a paranoid mate and Alpha. No one could come close to the babies without him knowing about it, and for him to stand by the doorway and watch Holden hold Troy in his arms was just as surprising as seeing Holden alive.

"Thank you again, I don't deserve this." Holden took a deep breath in, trying his best to contain his emotions. "They're beautiful."

Damian watched Holden like a hawk as he headed outside the room.

I took one last look at the babies and followed suit.

"Out of the house, we need to talk." Damian never took his eyes off Holden. His jaw was clenched tightly, his fists were almost shifted into his claws, but he held his beast back. He trailed Holden closely, giving him no more then a foot of space as we headed outside the house.

My heart was still racing, I could tell Damian was upset, but he was keeping quiet.

We were in front of the pack house, and there was a sudden eruption of at least twenty warriors that circled around us. Hippolyta, Loki, Eric, and Adam stood near Damian, sneering at Holden, but he didn't seem bothered by it.

"LEAVE US." Damian growled, prompting the entire crowd to disperse.

"I'll be close by if you need us." Eric was the last to leave, and his eyes were locked onto Holden.

"Can you believe the audacity of this asshole sneaking onto our territory like that? What the hell kind of game does he think he's playing?" I could hear Adam in the background as he walked away with everyone else.

Just as the crowd disappeared, Damian stepped in closer to me, almost blocking my view of Holden. He was uptight and paranoid, but who could blame him. Being parents made you like that, and I suppose he was troubled why I decided to allow Holden to walk into our house without him being there.

Damian crossed his arms against his chest, "You have a lot of balls to show up here the way you did. Nice present you left us at the border."

"What do you mean?" I looked to Damian who refused to take his eyes off Holden.

"It was Aria's dead body. Her body was fresh, like she was recently killed."

"She got away before I could kill her at the hospital. She was after you Diana. I chased her for weeks, searching under ever damn trash can in the city until I found her, held up with the remaining Crimson pack. Most of them deserted her when she ran away from me."

Damian scoffed, "Well, that's your best-case scenario then, isn't it? If she is dead you can go back to being Alpha of Crimson pack."

"Crimson is dead brother. Once I caught Aria, most of them had already died or deserted the pack. She made them follow her to their deaths.... But I suppose I was no better..."