17

I drummed my fingers along the desk. I was having trouble focusing on the papers before me. I decided to work from home because I couldn't bring myself to enter the office. I was distracted by the conversation Mila would be having with her friends.

She was going to confront them about being her secret security. I tried to calm her down, but she was angry at her friends. I sensed a little insecurity in her. She was probably wondering if they really thought of her as their friend or just their mission. I urged her that they thought of her as their friend, but she was still a little hesitant to believe it.

I placed the folders down and sped to the living room. Painting and music have always been my source of comfort. I sat down on the piano bench and delicately placed my fingers over the keys. I began to let my fingers guide the the music emitting from the instrument.

I began thinking about all my past encounters with Mila. I was hopelessly in love with her. I needed Mila like a human needed to breathe. Like an alcoholic needed alcohol. She was my drug and I was hooked. I felt the the withdrawal when she wasn't near me. I didn't realize I began playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

The song perfectly encapsulated my emotional distress. I wanted to be the one to make Mila smile, but I don't think I can be the one for her. I'm too much of a danger for someone as beautifully perfect as her. Oh, Amelia. My heart has begun beating again for you and I'm going to have to make it stop beating because I love you so much. A tear slipped from my eye and landed on the ivory key.

I wiped my tears when I heard my phone buzz. I sniffled a few times before picking it up. She was asking if she could come up. I of course told her she could, but I wanted to meet her downstairs so that I could escort her inside. I whizzed down to allow her entry.

She ranted the entire elevator ride about Zayn and Jade. She was angry with their reactions and couldn't believe they didn't think anything was wrong.

"Can you believe them?!" We stepped out the elevator. "All they talked about was oh vampires are bad. They're the enemies. They killed your dad. The vampire king-" I stiffened when she mentioned the man I hated the most in the world. It killed me knowing the impact he has had on the girl who owned my heart.

"Yes." I answered honestly. "Yes, I can understand their disdain for my race. The king is a vile creature. Not even a person, just a dark entity taking on the form of a man. That is a person whose creator rues his conception." I began thinking about how much I hated my sire.

"But, yeah..." She trailed off. "They did explain what the witch did to me." I was interested to know if they found out how the spell worked. "This bracelet has been something that I've never been able to take off. Even in missions, I'd have to wear it." She dangled it in front of me. "Apparently, the witch bound my werewolf side to this. So, when it's off then my wolf will be free."

She went to sit on the couch. I was struggling with what to do. I could play ignorant or I could offer to remove it for her. I made my decision and slowly sat next to her.

"Would you want it removed?" I focused on one of my paintings.

"I mean, wouldn't you?" I turned to give her my full attention. "All my life, I've felt like a piece of me was missing. Something that didn't make sense. I always felt different from my siblings and this is why." She pointed at the chain. "It makes me feel like I've been caged against my will, so yeah I'd want it off." She laid back until her head was on a pillow.

"I can remove it for you." I sighed.