50

I sighed for the hundredth time as Hailey told me that Mia had no interest in seeing me. I couldn't blame her after the onslaught I did to her. I grimaced when I stood up. Hailey motioned for me to turn around and drop my dress. I undressed and turned around.

"I can't believe you did this to yourself." She cleaned my open wounds.

"My punishment for harming her." I breathed out.

"Then why were you so violent?" I heard an edge to her voice.

"I felt rage consume me when I found out she was married." I stared at the ceiling as Hailey cleaned my wounds. "Just continue convincing her to see me." I looked down.

"Sure." I could hear anger in her voice. "And are you going to move her to a more sanitary space since she's prone to infection?"

"No, I can't because too many eyes are watching my moves with the girl."

X

It's been a few days since I've seen Hailey. I figured she was spending her time with Mia, but I would still like an update on her condition. I was getting jealous that Mia rather Hailey's presence over mine. I slammed my hand down and called for Taemin. I then demanded he bring Mia here, despite her protests. He bowed and left to follow my order.

I jumped when my door was swung open. I know I told Tae to bring me the girl, but I wasn't expecting him to have her flung over his shoulder. I wanted to approach her, but her glare scared me. I sighed and motioned for the others to leave us alone. I didn't know what to say, so I just blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

"You're healed." I spoke. "I wanted to see you right when you-"

"I'm healed no thanks to you." She interrupted me. "Not only did you whip me, but you left me alone to rot in that cell. I got no medical attention except from Hailey. I could've died." I flinched at the thought of her dying.

"I didn't want to keep you there. I wanted to bring you to the med bay right away, but I couldn't. I still had members here and if-"

"It's all about appearances for you, isn't it? You whipped me because that's what they wanted you to do. You're a weak ruler who is desperate to please everyone." She jabbed me with her finger. I was angry that she'd insult my rule.

"I am not weak." I harshly spoke.

"Yes, you are-" My anger consumed me, so I slammed her into the wall. I was internally struggling with what to do. I had her in place, but what do I- "Just kill me." My breath hitched at her plea. "Just end my suffering, please." She begged. Why does she want to die? Because of me she believes death is more comforting?

I was in shock and pained at her thought process. I didn't notice her pick up the silver blade on my desk. She placed the blade over her heart. She then wrapped my hand around it and pushed it into her chest. My eyes widened and I gasped when I realized what she was doing. She wanted me to kill her!

"Please, kill me!" She agonizingly begged.

That broke me out the trance she put me under. I broke her hold and threw the blade across the room. I was struggling with what to do. Do I kill my mate and relieve her from this cruel world or do I selfishly keep my happiness?

"I-I can't." I slammed my fist into the wall. "I've been told to kill you, yet I can't bring myself to do it." My voice cracked. "I'm too weak." I whispered.

"Why can't you?!" She demanded for me to acknowledge the bind, but I couldn't.

"I-I just can't. Please, don't pry-"

"TELL ME WHY?!" She persisted.

"YOU KNOW WHY!" I shouted back. "And I can't accept it." It took all the strength in my body to utter those words. "We can never happen... I have a war to consider and you- you're the enemy. I can't." I stepped away from her.

"What do you mean?" Her voice shook.

I turned to look out the window. As I did, I saw that same witch. I squinted to see better. I was about to call for my guards, but I felt a wave of anger enter me. I remembered all the atrocities Mia and her kind have committed. I remembered her marriage, rudeness towards me, thinking we were on the same level-

I marched towards her and trapped her between my arms. I lowered myself so we were staring into each other's eyes.

"I reject our mate bond." I seethed.

I then felt an intense pain in my chest. I saw her fall and I tried to catch her, but the pain in my chest made me fall. I looked down to see a huge black bruise begin to cover my chest. Fuck! Rejecting the bond is gonna kill her!

Alec raced to my side to check on me. His eyes widened and he glanced at Mia. His eyes widened in concern since he knew what was happening. I heard Hailey panicking and directing Lexi to hold Mia down. I saw Hailey had made Mia pass out so she wouldn't have to endure anymore pain.

"She's gonna die." Lexi whispered to Hailey. "She won't be able to survive-"

"Let me up." I choked to Alec, who was confused.

I then crawled over to Mia. Everyone was looking at me in confusion. I took a deep breath before touching her. I screamed as her pain entered my body. Black veins appeared along my body as I absorbed most of her pain. I could see her muscles relaxing and her breathing evening out. I smiled as her heartbeat got stronger.

"You need to let go, sister.... this could kill you-"

"I'd rather it kill me than her." I gave my brother a small smile. "Promise me if I die... you'll look after her." His breath hitched at my dying wish. "Promise me." My tone got sharper.

"I promise." He reluctantly answered.

"Good."

I smiled and bit my hand. I forced my blood into her unconscious body. I angled her head up so the blood would flow down her throat. I then continued absorbing her pain until I passed out.