24

I felt bad leaving Mila all on her own. She had Hailey and Lexi to keep her company, but still. I wish I could spend time with her, but these stupid councilmen have requested my presence. I tried passing it off to Alec, but my mother advised me that I should attend the meeting.

Against my will, I was attending this meeting. It was hard to pretend to be mad at the wolves. I actually applauded their tactic in defeating the vampires. What did raise my concern was my father's loyal squire.

All the council members were going crazy over the defeat, but the squire was perfectly composed. It's like he knew something they didn't. Then again, it wouldn't be too far fetched since my father only trusts him. Those two men are despicable and vile. No wonder they were drawn to each other.

I stared at Alec until he could feel my gaze. When his eyes connected with mine, I subtly tilted my head in the direction of the squire. Alec delayed his search 10 seconds. He then shifted his eyes to the squire. A quick glance and then his eyes were back on me.

Alec gave me a small nod. He was also suspicious about the squire. I subtly touched my chest, prompting Alec to listen to the squire's heartbeat. He frowned at finding that the squire's heartbeat wasn't fast. It was normal since he was calm. How was he calm when our side got demolished?

Something was wrong. He wasn't affected by the loss, meaning he wanted us to lose. Why though? I was trying to think what his strategy was, when I stiffened. I sensed the monster. I whipped my head to Alec. He furrowed his brows for a moment. He then widened his eyes. We were both thinking the same thing: we had to find Mila!

Alec made a move to stand up, but the doors were thrown open. Alec immediately sat down before my father entered. Everyone, including me, bowed to him. I stood up from the throne and knelt as he passed me. My father sat in his throne and motioned for us to stand.

I made my way next to Alec. We were silently trying to figure out how to sneak Mila out of here. We weren't expecting my father to return. The council members started giving false praise to my father. He ignored them and asked the question plaguing his mind.

"Qu'est-ce que j'entends parler d'un nouvel esclave de sang? J'ai entendu que son parfum est enivrant." (What is it this I hear about the new blood slave? I heard her scent is indescribable)

Alec and I stiffened at the comment. The council members were confused since they hadn't been allowed in the areas where Mila resided. My father barked again at them, but they didn't respond. He then turned his attention to me.

"Elle doit être spéciale parce que j'entends un autre battement de cœur dans la pièce." (She must be something special since I hear another heartbeat in the room) He smirked at me.

Shit! I forgot my heart has started beating again. He immediately heard it and suspected Mila was the girl I was seeing in America. He's going to do something to her! No! No! No! What do I do?!

"Taemin!" Taemin kneeled before my father. "Apportez-moi l'esclave." (Bring me the slave)

Taemin nodded and stood up. He quickly gave me an apologetic glance before leaving the room. I grabbed Alec's hand and squeezed it. I'm sure his hand had to be numb form now tight I'm holding it.

"J'ai hâte de goûter la fille." (Can't wait to taste the girl)

I growled when he licked his lip. Alec had to hold my hand tight to give me some support. I wanted to murder my father, but I had to compose myself for Mila's sake. I'd do anything to protect her.

My mother had entered the room and bowed to my father. She then made her way next to me. I felt her gentle hand rest on my lower back. Taemin must've alerted her of the situation. I appreciated her affection, but my mind was racing as to what I could do. Mila's life was in danger, and it was my fault again.