⁰⁰⁷ first love, late spring

❝ have you ever kissed anyone before ? ❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"THE YULE BALL HAS BEEN A GRAND TRADITION OF the triwizard tournament since its inception. on christmas eve night, we and our guests, gather in the great hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity." professor mcgonnagall announced. "as representatives of the host school, i expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward — and i mean this literally, because the yule ball, is first and foremost. . . a dance!"

the boys in the room began to huff and complain irritably, while the girls giggled and whispered excitedly. "a ball?"

"silence! the house of godric gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries! i will not have you in the course of one single evening, besmirch that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!" the woman pursed her lips. "now — to dance, is to let the body breathe. inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers, longing to take flight. inside every boy, a lordly lion is prepared to prance!"

the boys on the other side of the room began to chortle at something that ron had muttered under his breath, and maeve watched curiously as the professor whisked her head round, turning to them. "mr weasley!"

"yes. . . ?" the boy mumbled nervously.

"will you join me, please?" mcgonnagall pulled him up from the sleeve of his jumper. everyone began to chuckle as the red-headed boy reluctantly rose from his chair, following the professor to the middle of the floor. "now, place your right hand on my waist."

"where?" the boy's eyes widened.

"my waist." she repeated firmly, and one of the boys wolf-whistled. "and extend your arm. mr filch, if you please."

the grimy man started up the gramophone, and a slow tune began to play out, mcgonnagall guiding ron through the steps as the students snickered in laughter at his expense.

PARVATI WANDERED INSIDE OF THE DORMITORY, greeting hermione and maeve who were sat together on the latter's bed— leaning against eachother's shoulders as they read from a book. "hi." the patil twin nodded to them with a smile, dropping off her bag, before backing up out of the room. "i'm just going out with lavender. we're going with dean and seamus to hogsmeade. want to join?"

"it seems like a couple thing." hermione pointed out, shaking her head. "we're fine here."

"right." maeve nodded with a blush, hastily turning her head back down to the cream-coloured pages in an attempt to hide it. "you go ahead."

"okay." the girl nodded knowingly. "have fun, then." she wrapped her burgundy scarf around her neck another time, closing the door behind them.

maeve had always admired how lavender and parvati were openly bisexual— and everyone seemed to as accept them, as if it didn't matter. which it shouldn't.