II

Cassia Amana
March 22nd

Twirling the badge I held around my finger, my feet moved ahead of my body as I walked in the direction of the designated room that I was supposed to be going to

Twirling the badge I held around my finger, my feet moved ahead of my body as I walked in the direction of the designated room that I was supposed to be going to. My hands felt clammy as my heart felt as though it was pounding out of my chest, but that was just my nerves speaking for me. This always happened, whenever I had to encounter a new patient I thought of the worst. Not because I necessarily expected things to go bad, but because I didn't want to face the judgement of other people.

Most tended to be surprised when I told them I was a doctor, cracking smiles and laughing while correcting me to tell me I'm a nurse, but I'm not. I was born in Trinidad originally before my parents emigrated over to Southside Jamaica Queens, where I grew up for all of my teenage life. It was never easy being a child growing up in Queens, especially because a lot of the people around me weren't anything, claimed I would never be anything, and didn't expect me to be anything. But my parents always encouraged me otherwise, saying their only daughter will be the one to go to college and have the successful career that they didn't have the opportunities to attain.

So I did just that, getting accepted into Harvard after graduating from high school as top of my class, even becoming valedictorian since most of my life was my books and work. My biggest focus was my future, and the question of what happens next? Which was why when I got the opportunity to graduate a year early at 17, I immediately accepted my acceptance to Harvard which I attended the following year. Earning my bachelors degree with a major of health professions, I then went onto medical school for 4 years to study about becoming an actual doctor with my residency. I finished medical school by the age of 24 where I then completed 3 years of internship and residency programs to get me to where I am today. An official Obstetrician Gynecologist.

But I did have qualifications in other things and went through ER training, which was why I was now standing outside of the door of this new patient. Cepheus, that name had been tattooed in my mind since I read it last night, it was different and unique. I wasn't one who loved English, but it wasn't hard to tell the name was Greek. Only heightening my curiosity for who sat on the other side of this door.

Glancing around at my surroundings to see the blank hallways, something common for a Tuesday morning, I raised my right hand to place 2 knocks on the door while my left hand latched onto the knob. Listening out I heard nothing, causing me to assume that the patient was asleep so I just pushed the door open. But I was stopped in my tracks once the dark orbs of the man seated in the large hospital bed made contact with my own, staring at me as though I was an intruder barging in.

I felt a little small under his intimidating gaze since he said nothing, his dull eyes never leaving from my body though. Clearing my throat, I awkwardly took a couple steps into the room while my hand never left the door, softly closing it behind me while I looked everywhere except in the face of the patient. Something that we were trained to never do since we were supposed to seem sure of ourselves, but I couldn't help it.