V

Cassia Amana
April 6th

"Staying home again beautiful?" Glancing up from my book, my eyes were met with those of Yannis. I smiled, seeing the small mug he held in his hand with the saucer right under it. Reaching out, I grabbed both items from him, the strong scent of the ginger tea bringing a calming sensation over me.

"Yes...and before you ask, I already informed my supervisor and everyone else. I'm fine babe." I smiled, seeing the slight concern look falling over Yannis.

It's been like this for the past week since I haven't been going into work. I just couldn't do it, so saying I had a family emergency back in New York as I stayed under the radar would have to do. Seeing Cepheus would be too much, the constant overwhelming feelings I got every single time I was in his presence just wasn't healthy. So rather than doing something I may regret or messing with my health, stepping away for a minute seemed like the best decision.

"Are you sure you're okay, you've been acting different and you know you can talk to me about anything Cassia." Releasing a sharp breath, I watched as Yannis began making his way over to me. With every step he took, it was like I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, as though it was trying to escape.

I couldn't lie to my husband, not after the 5 years of loyalty that I've dedicated to him. But I also couldn't sit and release everything, all of the thoughts that have been swarming my mind for weeks now. Only increasing and growing stronger as days went on...even on the days I didn't see him. Today being one of those.

"You know if something was wrong I would tell you, don't worry about me." My voice came out quiet as I shifted under the white covers, never building the courage to bring my eyes up to meet his.

Hearing him release a defeated sigh, all he did was nod before standing and leaving out of the room without another word. Feeling the lack of his presence, I blinked my eyes rapidly to stop the overflow of emotions that were threatening to run out of me.

This wasn't me, never in my life had I put my work on halt for anything. Not family emergencies, not personal breaks, and especially not due to the attention that a male patient had dedicated to me. But it was something about him, the way he carried himself, the way he spoke, the way he looked, the charm he never failed to display when it came time for me to see him, I seen and made note of all of that.

But I was also well aware that he wasn't a good person, or at least that's what I'd heard and interpreted. He didn't care to talk about his personal dealings around me, and it confused me, because it seemed his personal life was already on display to an extent from the way Jamila described it. I would call him a thug or a hoodlum, but it was no secret that in the eyes of other people he could be seen that way. Those who were judgemental really, and I wasn't one of those people.

Taking a small breath, I finally pushed the white covers from off of my body to stand up and do a light stretch. Tired was an understatement, being that I kept myself up nearly all night with only one thing...well person rather, on my mind.

Glancing around the room, my eyes fell on a small box that sat close to the door of my bedroom. Squinting my eyes, I could make out the name on top which read 'Yannis' which only heightened my interest.

I wasn't one to go prying into the business of him just because he was my significant other, but the item was so foreign that I couldn't help myself. Looking towards the door quickly, I made sure I heard complete silence in the house before making my way over towards the box.

I opened the bedroom door slightly, just in case he suddenly came up the stairs, before I sat down on the ground right in front of the box. Gliding my hand over the top, it was a little dusty, but I knew it was recently placed in the room because I never seen it before.