The End of The Day

You plopped down on your stiff bed, groaning in pain. When you had imagined cleaning the bedroom and library, you had expected a semi-easy task at least.

But the bedroom had so many nooks and crannies that needed to be dusted, swept, and polished that by the time you had finally finished, Alice had already started on the library without you.

She had been quiet for almost the entire experience, aside from the occasional tip on how to clean something better.

The other maids seemed indifferent towards you whenever you respectfully nodded your head at them. You couldn't really take it personally though. It wasn't like you were the only one receiving the silent treatment.

They were completely silent the entire time, and barely looked each other in the eyes. It made you a bit uneasy, but you tried to brush the feeling off.

When you all had finally finished in the last room in the North Wing, you followed the silent group back to the dorms.

It was already evening, and the sun was gone from the sky. You had spent all day cleaning in your stiff shoes, and they were killing your feet.

You kicked them off and immediately tried to massage the pain from your feet, sighing in relief as your toes finally had room to stretch out.

As you worked a particularly hard cramp from the middle of your foot, you caught sight of your new peers. They were finally interacting with each other.

Across the room, an older woman with thick black hair was helping a younger girl undo her tight blonde braid while they conversed happily about something that you couldn't quite hear.

Alice was on the bed next to yours, quietly explaining the plot of a romance novel to a few girls who stood around her. The blushes on their face were apparent as Alice detailed a particularly naughty scene.

The sound of quiet chatter was finally surrounding you, and combined with the warm glow from the candles lining the wall, you were filled with a slight sense of warmth and comfort.

Safely in their dorms and away from what you assumed were harsh eyes, the maids seemed much more lively and happy.

Though there were bags still under their eyes, at least the eyes themselves looked more full of life under the warm candlelight.

They weren't nearly as jumpy either, and they laughed freely at jokes. They looked like normal, happy girls, and you were relieved to see that your new life at least wouldn't be spent in total silence and fear.

You sighed as you began to massage your other foot, your eyes catching on a new pile of clothes that had been laid on top of your pillow.

Releasing your foot, you picked up the pile and began to pull it apart. On top was a pair of dark brown stockings. They were dark enough to be mistaken as black. They felt stiff and itchy.

Underneath was a lighter brown dress, the color of dry dirt. It seemed to be in the exact same style as the one you were currently dressed in, just a different color.

There was no bonnet or apron with the two items, however there was a pair of unused brown shoes lying on your pillow.

With a twinge of annoyance, you removed them and set them on the floor. Whoever had placed them there needed to have better common sense. Why would someone be okay with a pair of shoes on their pillow?

Unexpectedly, a curvy redhead appeared by you side, giving you a cheery smile. "It's your leisure uniform." She said simply, gesturing to the dress.