Escape

REVISED AS OF 07/23/2022

It felt like hours after Hoseok had left, that you had finally been able to compose yourself enough to leave the library. Rae and Alice had already left, unable to discreetly locate you in the presence of the Queen and her sons.

Eventually, the Queen left with Seokjin and Hoseok in tow. Hoseok had glanced at the space where you were hidden, but didn't bother to stop and attempt to chat again.

When the library had finally fallen completely silent, and you finally worked up your courage again, you exited the blue room and hurried back to the servants area. It was there that you stumbled into Rae, who was cleaning up a bowl of what was most likely leftover stew.

Rae immediately grasped your arms, a relieved expression on her face. "There you are!" She cried out as she inspected you. "We were terrified that Prince Hoseok had sent you to the dungeons or something!"

You shook your head and glanced around the room, relieved when you realized that it was just you and the worried red-head in front of you. You turned back to her, your eyes filling with tears again.

"Somehow, it's even worse." You whispered, your lower lip wobbling. You looked down, unable to meet Rae's eyes suddenly. You felt ashamed, guilty. Hoseok had murdered someone, and it was all in the name of love. Love for you.

You felt partially responsible for the death of Lady Pyke. You didn't even know if Sanria was alive either, but from the way that Hoseok had spoken you could only assume.

"What happened?" Rae asked, ducking her head to attempt to make eye contact. You shut your eyes and inhaled sharply, before finally explaining what had happened.

Rae's face only grew more horrified by the second as you first explained how Hoseok had confessed his love to you, before telling her about his confession of murder. By the time you were finished, Rae was running her hands through her hair and pacing.

She was silent for a moment, before she finally asked her first question. "Did Prince Hoseok actually kill Lady Pyke, or did he have someone else do it?" Her eyes were intense, and you could only squirm as you answered.

"From the way that he was talking, it made it seem like he had done it himself." You said, wringing your hands together. "You don't think he'd do something so terrible to me...do you?"

Rae shook her head. "I don't think he'd hurt you, exactly." She muttered, crossing her arms. "However, his actions show that he is very dangerous. I have a feeling that this isn't the first time he has done something so cruel. It won't be the last time either."

"Do you think he would hurt a servant?" You asked, frowning. He didn't seem to hate the servants, but...he had also said that he would make you regret rejecting him. What if he started going after your peers?

"I think that maybe we should consider...i don't know...getting you out of here?" Rae said quietly. Your eyebrows shot up and you immediately shook your head.

"No." You said, images of your friends suffering flashing before your eyes. The last thing you wanted was for Hoseok to grow angry at you for escaping, and for him to take that anger out on Rae or Alice, or really any of the servants. You voiced this concern to Rae.

"I don't think that Hoseok even knows that we're close." Rae countered. "He wouldn't know who to go after first. Besides, if you stay then things could go very, very wrong for you."

"Rae." You groaned, crossing your arms. "This is a risk I don't want to take. Not only that, but winter is in full swing now. I would starve or freeze to death anyways. I honestly believe that no matter what I do, it will be a death sentence."