The Winter Ball

REVISED ON 03/20/2022

"Do not disappoint them, or you will regret it." Sanria growled as she tightened your new, fancy black apron for the hundredth time. "Go in, serve the drinks, and do not make eye contact with any of the nobles or royals."

You nodded, trying to control the shaking that took hold over your body. The other maids watched from the shadows of the chambers, completely silent for fear of angering the hot-headed maid.

You winced when she moved onto your hair, harshly pulling it into a tight, neat bun. You regretted even giving Hoseok the time of day now that you were standing there, donned in one of the higher quality, all black maid uniforms.

The uniform was only used during special events, like seasonal balls and weddings, Alice had told you when you had discovered it laying on your bed after lunch.

It was then that you realized that your plan to avoid all guests and royalty for the rest of the night had been ruined completely. You didn't need to be told why you had been requested, or who had requested you. You instantly knew that it had been Hoseok.

You tried to still your thoughts and keep yourself calm. You focused on Sanria's rough voice as she irritably droned on. "My job is on the line, girl." She pulled at your hair harshly again. "So if you mess things up, I'll have to hear about it. You'd better behave."

The head maid explained your routine to you. You would approach guests with a tray in your hand, bow, offer them a drink, then bow again before leaving. It didn't sound too hard, but even a tiny mistake could set someone off and result in your demise.

You gave one last look to Rae and Alice, hoping that this wouldn't be the last time you saw them. Your worries were reflected onto their faces, and it only made your stomach flip with nervousness again.

Sanria finished with your hair and stepped away. She placed her hands on her hips and stared you down. "I will personally beat you if I find out that you made a foolish error in the presence of any distinguished guests or the royal family themselves. Do you understand?"

You nodded quickly. You had seen the way that she had treated Kassie. She was rough and could most likely do damage if you made her angry enough. You needed to be smart and behave to the best of your ability tonight.

Sanria motioned for you to follow her out of the maids chambers and all the way to a small kitchen that was located next to the ballroom. She shoved you into the room first, before following impatiently.

In the center of the kitchen, standing over a small counter, was a thin woman with sleek black hair. Her eyes were dead as she looked up at you expectantly. Sanria came to stand by your side.

"This is your help for the night. If she screws up, don't be afraid to tell me." She told the new maid. The dead-eyed maid nodded slowly, before looking back down at the tray that she was carefully setting drinks onto.

Sanria clamped a hand down on your shoulder and leaned forward, her voice low. "She is a higher ranking maid than you. You will respect her, just as you respect me." She muttered.

Sanria didn't wait for you to respond before brushing by you and out of the kitchen again. The nameless maid was quiet as she continued her own task, and you stood awkwardly in your spot. You were almost scared to break the silence in fear of startling her precise movements.

When she was finished with her first tray, she pushed it to the side. She didn't need to make a noise to alert another maid, who automatically appeared at the entrance with an empty tray. She hurried in and slid the filled tray onto her arm, before rushing back out to the ballroom.