Chapter 17 - Hina and I

[Kioto's POV]

      "Ne, ne, Kioto!" Fana chirped.

      "Nani?" I asked.

      "How did you meet Hina-chan?" She asked. It was a nice Sunday noon, and the entire team met up at a cafe to hang out and catch up with each other. 

      "Pfft- Fana! You ask that every year!" Akira giggled.

      "I do? Also, where's Hina-chan?" 

      "Yea and because of that, we've heard this story like what- 5? 6? times? Also, Hina's running a bit late, she'll be here later" A redhead mused.

      "Really??" 

      "Hmm..." I stared at the ceiling as I thought of how to begin the story.

      "Well...

----FlashBack----

I think I was around 10. Helpless in a dark world.

      "Kioto-sama, please come out."

      "Kioto-sama, you haven't eaten in weeks."

      "Kioto-sama, please say something."

      Go away. Go away. Go away. Stop calling my name. Leave me alone. I hate you... every one of you...you all lied to me. "Your mother is perfectly fine!" "Of course we're looking after her!" "Sick? Why do you think that?" Lies. All lies.

      "Akashi Kioto. Come out now." A demanding voice called.

      "Oto-san...how could you..?" My voice quivering.

      "Kioto, stop acting like a child and come out now. You've missed enough classes for me to tolerate." The man said, his voice cold with disappointment. 

      "Acting...like a child? Missed...classes...tolerate? Oto-san, did I hear that right?" I questioned.

      "Kio-" My father began.

      "How could you..? Did you forget? Suffer from memory loss? Okaa-san just died. How could you be fine? How could care more about my grades? HOW COULD YOU BE FINE? YOUR WIFE JUST DIED!" I yelled at him as tears streamed down my pale face.

      "Akashi Kioto, how dare you yell at your parents? How dare you defy me. Your mother died because fate saw it fitting, there is no reason to grieve over it. Only failures pry and hold to the past." My father's eyes filled with anger.

      "You...you think my mother deserved to die? I hate you...I hate you...I HATE YOU! ARE YOU EVEN HUMAN?" I screamed at him then slammed my door open and ran out of the house.

      I ran out the door and hid as some servants passed by, trying to find me. After they left and returned back to the house, I sat down at a nearby park bench as tears slowly flooded my vision. If someone asked me when my life, was the most vulnerable, the most pitiful, I would have chosen that moment right there. 

      "Are you alright?" 

Though when nights are darkest, stars shine the brightest.

      I rubbed my eyes as I looked around. In front of me, crouching on the ground looking at me was a blond girl with greyish green eyes brighter than the stars themselves. 

      "Would you like a lollipop?" The girl smiled handing me a lollipop, "They always cheer me up when I'm sad."

      A lollipop. I've never had a lollipop...  I cautiously unwrapped the lollipop and slowly sucked on it.

      "It's good right?" The girl grinned.

      "Huh? Oh, yeah... Arigatou-" I began but stopped when I realized I didn't know her name.

      "Hina." She said.

      "?" I cocked my head sideways.

      "Garcia Hina. My name is Garcia Hina, feel free to call me Hina!" Hina beamed.

      "Hina... Arigatou, Hina. My name is Akashi Kioto. Call me Kioto." I returned a soft smile.

      "Huh? Oh, it's getting late! I better go, see you again!" Hina yelled as she ran back to her home.

       "Again...See you again!" I smiled with newfound happiness. 

      Hina was right. Again, again, and again we seemed to always run into each other, later in our second year of middle school, she transferred to Teko Middle School, we banded a team of prodigies with Ayame as our leader and me, as our ace. Along the way, we've met more people who joined us, first Fana, then the twins, Rin, Akira, Hikari, and lastly Reina. This was it. This was the 10 of us. This is our team. And this team, all began with that one moment I met Hina. 

      I wrapped up my story and Fana was in tears.

      "Wahh So touching!" She cried...like literally. 

      "Sush, Fana, calm down." Akira chided.

      "Minna!" We heard a voice yelled whom we turned to be met with a panting Hina.

      "You're here!" Sora beamed.

      "Mhm! Huh? Fana?? Why are you crying?"

       "I-it's just the story was too touching!"

      "Hmm..would you like a lollipop? It always calms me down!" Hina offered.

They say people are always changing but I guess some things always stay the same.