Challengers

Here we are.......the 1000 view special! Sorry for this being a few days late, but I've been working on another story a lot recently. Also this may be the new longest oneshot, so sorry about that.

 I never thought I would have made it this far, and it's all thanks to each and every one of you who has read even a sentence of what I've written. I couldn't possibly thank each one of you enough. Anywho, onto the story! :D

________________________________________________________________________________

A large group of people, creatures, and other life forms were gathered in a large auditorium. There were roughly just over 80 of them, occupying not even a fraction of the seats the auditorium had to offer. Amongst them all, were Lucas and Ness. They had acquired some premium seats, located right in the middle of the auditorium. Not to close as to strain their necks, but not to far away, so they could still see the stage.

Everyone seated began to grow a bit restless. Due to the fact that they had been waiting for hours by that point. Everyone had been told that there was some sort of major event going on. But no one, from Mario to Pyra and Mythra, knew what was happening. 

They had all been acquainted with each other through the tournaments they had all participated in, so it's wasn't like they were total strangers with each other. This fact led them to believe that this event was tournament related.

Ness yawned and rubbed his eyes. He was quite tired from the prior nights.....activities. Despite this, Lucas wasn't tired at all. Which was weird, considering he should have been.

Lucas leaned his head against his hand, and sighed. "Why are we even here? There's so much else I could be doing today..." Ness gave Lucas a skeptical look.

"Really? What could you have possibly been doing that wouldn't be as time burning as this?" Lucas crossed his arms, and pouted a little.

"Hmph.....you're not one to talk about burning..." Ness chuckled a little, and twirled one of his fingers subtly.

"True..." A little bit of psychic fire circled Ness' finger, before it disappeared, and he put his finger down.

Then, a man walked on the stage. His footsteps were quite quiet, making very little noise. He looked like a young man, slightly older than Ness and Lucas. He had dark, messy, short, noir hair. He was wearing a long, black trenchcoat, that covered whatever he was wearing underneath. 

As soon as he took the stage, everyone quieted down. They all turned to look at him, awaiting the announcement. As the young man arrived at the podium, he looked out onto the crowd, his silver eyes scanning the audience. His eyes had a sort of increased reflectiveness to them. He slowly moved his hand towards his ear, where there appeared to be some sort of earpiece. He tapped it a couple of times, before clearing his throat.

"Welcome, all. I'm sure you're all wondering who I am and why I'm here, but please, save the questions for later," the young man gave a quick smile, before going back to talking. "The reason you have been gathered here is to participate in an......event, per se," a few whispers were exchanged throughout the audience, before the person on stage spoke up again. "This will not be a basic tournament, like you have done in the past.....this will be.....different."

The whispers grew into full-blown talking, as everyone wondered what this "event" was. The young man stepped away from the podium, and began to pace around the stage. "It will be in a tournaments style.....just not how you are used to. It will not only be fighting, but other tasks you must accomplish. It will be judged by me, and one othe-"