02- The Queen

June 17, 1562

I looked out the window of my room, which faced the front yard.  Several carriages drove at high speed towards the castle and I assumed they would be Mary's ladies-in-waiting.

I didn't know what to expect from the Scottish queen, after all, I had never met her and had only heard stories about her.

When would Francis and Mary get married?  Probably after Elisabeth's wedding that would take place today.

There were three knocks on my door and Maximilian walked in.  "The queen's carriage is almost there," he announced, holding out his arm.

I hooked my arm through his and we walked together to the front yard, the front yard was already full of the courtiers and Max and I stood behind the king and queen.

I looked around, Francis was still not there and his fiancé was almost there.  His father wouldn't be too happy with his son if he were late.

"Here she is," Max whispered in my ear when one last carriage arrived.  I saw Mary getting out of the carriage and embracing her 3 ladies-in-waiting, from where I stood I could not see her face well but I saw that she was wearing a light blue dress.

"His Highness, Prince Francis," the lackey shouted.  Francis walked up to Mary and bowed.  We couldn't hear what they were saying but I could see Mary's ladies-in-waiting giggling.

Francis offered Mary his hand and walked her towards his parents.  The court bowed as Mary greeted the king and queen.

"Shall we go back inside, I am sure Queen Mary has had a long journey and we have Princess Elisabeth's wedding tonight as well," the king said, taking Catherine's hand.

The royal couple, Mary and Francis walked ahead of us and the court followed them.

Catherine's lady-in-waiting came up to me. "The queen wants to see you right away in her rooms," she whispered before returning to her mistress.

What did the queen have to tell me?