46- The Birth Of An Heir

June 1st, 1566.

Francis 21
Mary 21
Maximilian 23
Bianca 19
Cecily 20
Louis 2
Julien 2

A year and a half later.

Cecily and Maximilian had a son, apparently she was pregnant long before Mary, around May, but hadn't noticed and gave birth to Julien in January.

Julien was only 5 months younger than Louis, and when they were old enough to walk they became the best of friends. They were connected not only by the friendship between me and Cecily, but also by the fact that their fathers were brothers.

Mary became pregnant again in November 1565 and was due to give birth this month. She and Francis needed an heir to the throne and Mary swore she was carrying a boy

I was pregnant again, 6 months. And unlike Mary, I didn't care if I was carrying a boy or a girl. I just wished it was healthy.

Francis has been increasingly adored by the people since his victory. They saw his strength and how he fought alongside his soldiers and respected him for that.

Even the Huguenots had calmed down and France prospered under Francis' reign.

~

The whole court sat outside in the gardens because of the fine weather. The servers had placed several tables in the garden and I was seated at the table of the royal family.

Francis sat in the middle with Catherine and Mary next to him. I sat next to Catherine and next to me was Louis, at least that's where he should be sitting, but instead he was playing with his nannies.

I put my hands around my big belly and looked at Louis with a smile.

Catherine sighed in delight. "This year seems to be a dream. First claude and her two children, now Elisabeth who is about to give birth and then you two too." She looked at me and Mary.

Francis agreed "It is indeed time for France to get a dauphin. If Bianca also gives birth to her son, we will soon have two boys in the crib." I giggled. "With three boys in the nursery, I'm sure the nannies will go crazy, and maybe I'll carry a girl. Let's hope she'll look like me then."

We all looked at Louis, who looked all too much like his father with his blond curly hair.

"A girl is good too, isn't it, Mother?" Francis asked. "But of course, with Mary having your son, we can't have another son overshadowing his birth."

Mary smiled nervously and then stood up. "Would you like to walk with me Bianca. I have a few questions about the delivery?" She asked, she looked almost forcefully at me.

"But of course Your Majesty." I also got up and then walked through the gardens with her.

"You know, Bianca. When I married Francis, King Henry made me sign something. Something that is actually forbidden in Scottish law but in love and stupid that I was I signed it anyway. It said that if I died without heirs, the Scottish crown would fall under France." She said when we were far from the table.

"Now I am about to give birth and like any pregnant woman I am afraid that I or the baby will die during the delivery. If the moment came and my ladies-in-waiting had to make a choice, they would choose my life, but they can't. There is always a chance that I will die and Scotland will be in their hands forever."

I nodded but didn't really understand. "Why should I know that, Mary."

"Because I want you to be at the birth to make sure they protect my child, even if my life depends on it, and so you can see with your own eyes that my son has all your hopes and dreams for your own son and the child in your womb."

She looked at me and I could almost see the fear in her eyes. "If that's what you want from me, I'll be happy to do it." I say.

She smiled weakly. "Then that's settled. Shall we return to the table?" she spoke again as if she were just not standing here begging almost desperately out of fear.

We returned to the table and Louis immediately came running towards me.

"Mama, Mama! You must catch me." he said as he ran away. I slowly ran after him. "I can't do that Louis, you're way too fast for me." I said fake exhausted.

He came running towards me again and took my hand. "Don't worry, Máma. One day you will be as fast as me."

I smiled and got down on my knees "I don't think so, my golden boy. You will always stay much faster than me." I kissed him on the cheek and sat down.

"It's a real thunderstone." Francis said with a laugh. "Just like you once were. This kid is going to be a real terror when he gets older." I joked.

"Louis!" Called a voice. I saw Julien running to Louis and Louis running his way too "Cousin Julian!"

I smiled at the view. Julien had Cecily's red hair but Maximilian's mischievous look.

Maximilian followed Julian and bowed to the table. "Queen Mother, brother, Queen Mary." He greeted their "Bianca."

"Welcome back Brother, where is your dear wife?" Francis asked. "She felt unwell and decided to stay at home." He explained as he sat down next to me. He placed his hand on my stomach "How is my nephew.".

I pushed his hand away "of niece."

Maximilian wanted to say something back but was interrupted by a scream from Mary.

Everyone immediately stood up alert to see what was going on and the children stopped playing.

"The labor has begun." Said her lady-in-waiting. "Then bring her in quickly, or do you want the queen to give birth to my son in the garden."

She nodded and helped Mary to the room. I excused myself and followed them to her room, she was undressed and put on a nightgown.

She puffed and moaned in pain as she was placed in the bed. The midwives came running into the room and started getting everything ready for the birth.

~

After giving birth for more than two days, Mary gave birth to a healthy baby.

The child was washed and so was Mary. Her bed was made again and Francis was fetched.
As he entered the room, a broad smile appeared on his lips.

"Where is the future king of France and Scotland?" He asked.

Mary sat in the bed with a bundle in her arms. Her cheeks were wet with tears.

"It's a girl Francis," she said softly, "a healthy daughter."

Francis smile faded and I saw his world collapse. "A girl?"

She nodded.

Francis looked at me and I nodded too.

Francis stormed out of the room and I ran after him "Francis!" I cried.

He stood still and I saw his shoulders shake.

He cried.

I immediately hugged him.

"I needed an heir, Bianca. People will say I cannot give an heir to France."

I grabbed his face. "You can give France an heir, you have a healthy son Francis, Louis is the sign that you can. Never forget that."

Francis's face brightened again.

"Of course," he said. "Sure, I have Louis." He kissed me and then went on to his own rooms.

It was to be expected that Mary would have a daughter because I don't like her, but now the question is, what does bianca get? A boy or a girl?