49- Enemies

June 3rd, 1566

"Louis, be careful."  I said to Louis who ran ahead of me.  The weather was so nice today that I decided to take a walk through the gardens with Louis.

As always, he loved running around while his nannies tried to grab him.  And now he ran through the garden screaming with laughter.

I tried to ease my mind.  I hadn't spoken to him since Francis announced that he had Louis as his heir, and I feared the worst.

"Madam?"  a voice asked from behind me.  I looked around and saw a man walking behind me, he seemed in a hurry.  When he had caught up with me, he bowed.

"Yes?  What can I do for you?"  I asked suspiciously.  He looked familiar to me but I didn't know from where.

He began to speak, "I would like to inform you that the King has announced in the council today that he wishes to declare your son Louis as his heir.  There were certain people who strongly disagreed."

I looked at him again "and why are you telling me that, Lord?".  "Because my job is to protect you and your son."

I looked at him incomprehensibly.  "Your father sent me, already a year ago, to spy on the king and actually all council meetings.  I am the person who writes down everything that is decided."  he explained.

I sniffed.  Of course it was my father.  Since the birth of Louis, he had already shown his ambition for the family.  I just never expected him to go as far as spying.

"What's your name?"

"Antonio."

"Very well Antonio, resign and return to Tuscany and tell my father not to interfere with me or his grandson.  I don't want to see you here anymore."  I whispered menacingly "You will not endanger my son."

I gave him another look and then continued.

"Beware of the Duke of Guise and his brother Charles, Cardinal of Lorraine.  They are your enemies " He called after me but I continued on.