21- Marriage of benefits

August 21th, 1562

Father and the Pope came to an agreement. First I would marry and then my father will be crowned.

My marriage was full of benefits for my family. But not for me, except for the fact that I inherit all my husband's money if he dies before me.

"Hurry up, it's almost time!" Isabella shouted to the maids who hoisted me into my wedding dress. The poor women had been listening to my sister's snarl all morning and I had felt sorry for them.

She fastened the bodice of my wine-red dress and the other adorned my hands, neck and ears with jewels. My hair was placed in long curls on my back. Half was half pinned and decorated with pearls.

I smiled at my reflection in the mirror. I didn't agree to the wedding, but I looked beautiful.

"Perfect" Isabella said with satisfaction, she herself was dressed in a peach colored dress. Her dark hair was pinned into a braided chignon. "It's time for us to go to chapel, my sweet milk and honey sister"

I nodded, and we walked to the sistine chapel accompanied by a group of noble women. The Pope had chosen to place the wives of the most important Roman nobles in my bridal procession. Probably for personal gain, but I was determined to make good use of that in the future.

Arriving in front of the open doors of the chapel I could already see the crowd. People had come from all over Italy and surrounding countries to see the wedding.

I took a deep breath and placed a serene expression on my face before entering the chapel and making my way to Ottavio standing by the altar.

The Holy Father sat on the throne, wearing his papal crown. My own father stood at the front of the chapel with Francesco and smiled encouragingly at me.

I looked straight ahead at the man who would soon be my husband.

Arriving at the altar I place my hand in Ottavio's.

The priest began speaking, "Ottavio Rossi and Bianca De'Medici , have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage?"

"Yes" we said at the same time.

"Will you honor each other as man and wife for rest the of your lives?"

"Yes"

"Will you accept children lovingly from God, and bring them up according to the law of Christ and his church?"

"Yes"

The priest held out to us a large golden cup of wine and we both took a sip from the cup after which we ate a piece of bread.

"May God bless this marriage" said the priest, "Amen" said the guests.

"Amen" I whispered softly.

~

The festivities after the ceremony went on in complete sufficiency.

I noticed that everyone enjoyed the food, music and wine that was served. Even I, probably because of the wine, enjoyed the festivities and chatted with the various guests.

At least until my sister came to get me to get ready for the wedding night.

To the cheers of the guests, I was escorted to my new room by my sister and the other noble women who had already helped me that morning.

She undressed me and dressed me in a virgin white lace nightgown. The dozens of pins were removed from my hair and my hair was hung loosely over my shoulders. Then I sat down in the bed where I waited for Ottavio to come.

Isabella sat at the edge of the bed and held my hand. "Are you afraid, my love?" She asked concerned, brushing a curl from my face.

I shook my head "No, not really" I admitted. Isabella looked around, but she saw that the noble women were far away from us. "Are you still a virgin?" She asked in a whisper "if not, we'll have to come up with something quickly"

I chuckled "Don't worry, I'm a virgin. Francis and I didn't go that far."

After I said this, the door was opened with a loud noise and Ottavio entered, followed by a priest.

He came and sat next to me in the bed. His warm body against mine.

The priest prayed a few more prayers before he and the rest of the people in my room left the room.

Isabella gave me one last look. I saw the concern in her eyes, but I also saw her examining Ottavio.

Did she know something I didn't?

I cleared my throat. Now that we were all alone, the nerves started to overpower me. "Shall we?" I asked softly.

Ottavio said nothing but turned to me "We are now husband and wife" he said, his voice hoarse from the drink. "Yes we are"

"That means you're mine from now on" he came closer to my face and I felt his warm breath tickling my skin "And you will do what I ask of you"

He pressed me roughly into the bed and pulled up my nightgown "My beautiful wife". He climbed on top of me and before I knew it I felt a sharp pain inside me and I screamed, but Ottavio didn't seem to mind. Instead of that he kept going, my pain didn't interest him.

Was this the marriage I signed up for