09 - Answers

June 26, 1562

When I lay in bed that night, I tossed in bed restlessly. I just couldn't get to sleep.

My thoughts were everywhere. With the king, with my father and with Francis. My future now lay with the king and with my father.

I didn't know what Father had said to the king, but I knew that the subject of a marriage between the two of us had been discussed. My father could have threatened the alliance, something he probably wouldn't have done, but I would have done that in his place.

I sighed angrily and got out of bed, put on my soft woolen shoes and slipped out of my room. Luckily the hallways were empty and I walked up the long hallway at a fast pace. When I arrived at my destination I knocked softly on the door and walked soundlessly into the room.

"Bianca?" Francis whispered in surprise, I smiled "My beloved" I said as I lay down next to him in the bed.

Francis lay in bed his upper body naked. His muscular pale torso stood out from the blue linen covers on his bed. I leaned over him and kissed his forehead.

"I couldn't fall asleep" I said as I covered myself with the blanket. "Me neither," he replied. He pulled me towards him and I rested my head on his chest.

The sound of his heartbeat proved reassuring to me and I felt myself slowly drifting off to sleep.

"I'm afraid my father will reject the marriage," Francis suddenly whispered. I looked up at his face which was serious and concerned "don't worry Francis, go to sleep" I said soothingly as I closed my eyes again.

June 27, 1562

The next morning I woke up early, before sunrise.  Francis was still fast asleep when I quietly slipped out of his bed and hurried to my room.

God knows what would have happened if one of his chamberlains had found me in his bed.  All hell would have broken loose in the palace and I'm sure we'd be the center of the gossip.

When my maid came into my room an hour later and helped me bathe, dress and then serve breakfast, I was restless again.

Anyway, I had to see my father today.  I decided to go to his rooms right after breakfast.

Father just came out of his room and I made a short curtsy before hooking my armed through his and dragging him down the halls.

"How did the conversation go yesterday?"  I whispered when we were far away from the palace workers.  We walked towards the chapel "what did you say to each other?"

Father sighed, "The king himself started talking about the alliance and I asked him if he wanted to consummate the alliance through marriage.  He asked me who I favored as a suitor and I turned you in.  The king then replied that unfortunately he had no one for you and when I brought up the dauphin he said that he was already betrothed to The Scots Queen and that he had no intention of breaking off the betrothal for us.  He offered his daughter Claude instead," answered father in a whisper.

"So he declined?"

Father nodded.

I let go of his arm and looked at him with tears in my eyes. "Thank you for your effort" I said softly, I made a short curtsy and walked back to my own room.

I had to be alone.  I had to be able to think.

Francis Pov

When the guards asked me to walk with them, I didn't care. Father made a big show of everything. For a simple conversation he would send 2 guards to get me while he could also send a note.

I bowed as I walked into my father's office, "You asked for me?".

Father sat behind his large oak work table, drinking from a golden goblet of wine. His gaze was serious.

"Did you really intend to abort all my hard work, all my father's hard work for your engagement to Mary for a bastard!" He shouted angrily "Over my dead body" he almost screamed now.

I felt myself flush with anger "Bianca is not a bastard. She is the person I love like you love Diane and I refuse to marry Mary!" I shouted angrily.

Father got up from his chair and came over to me. He grabbed me hard by the shoulders "You will do as I say! I will make sure that you and Mary get married as soon as possible and that you marry her. If not, I'll make sure your beloved bianca's life will be unbearable, Got it!" he shouted angrily.

I didn't respond and turned to leave the room. "Francis" said father now in a normal tone. I turned and looked at him questioningly.

"If I see you again with Bianca I will lock her up for high treason and she will die from the knife"

I walked out of the room and slammed the door shut.

You didn't expect this, did you?