11- True Love

July 5th, 1562

"This necklace is beautiful"

I looked at Mary, who pointed to the necklace her ladies-in-waiting was holding up.  The necklace was studded with sapphire jewels.

"Very beautiful indeed" I agreed, pointing to the matching earrings "You should wear these"

Mary nodded approvingly and motioned for her lady-in-waiting to clear away the rest of the jewelry.  She sat down on a chair and motioned for me to sit across from her.

She looked dreamily ahead, "Have you ever been in love Bianca?"  she asked.

I gasped silently "Yes, I have", "tell me, are you thinking of marrying him?"  She looked at me with interest.

I looked at her sadly. "We wanted to marry each other but his father refused, he had another marriage in mind for him.  we haven't spoken to each other again.  I can't think of anything else, my heart is broken"

Mary took my hand. "If it was true love, I'm sure you two will get back together."  She said comfortingly.

"Is there such a thing as true love?"  I said emotionlessly.

~

When I returned to my room later that day, after dinner, I was halted by a maid who shoved a note into my hand and quickly continued on.

I looked in surprise at the note and then at the maid who was just rounding the corner.

I walked to my room and then unfolded the note.

Come to the library at 10 Be unnoticeable.
f.

I smiled, Francis hadn't forgotten me after all.

I sat down behind my dressing table and started combing my dark hair and braided it into a long braid before taking off my jewelry and putting on my nightgown.

When it was nearly ten o'clock I put on my sleeveless robe and quietly walked down the hall.

By this time, the hallways were full of the maids silently trying to clean everything up for the next morning. Sometimes I felt sorry for them. She worked hard for days to serve all the people here.

When I got to the library, I closed the door and stood by a random cupboard where I started rummaging through the books. The library was silent and I was assured that I was alone.

"Bianca" whispered a voice from behind the library. I looked around in panic and walked towards the sound. Francis stood at the back of the library.

"my love" Francis said again, he walked around me and hugged me " why did you do this to me" I pushed him away from me "Do you love Mary?"

Francis motioned for me to speak more softly. "My father, it's him. He threatened me, he said if he saw us together again he would lock you in the dungeons and kill you. I couldn't let that happen, not to you"

I was shocked by his words. His father really wanted me killed "I understand, thank you" I leaned against him, resting my head on his chest. The sound of his familiar heartbeat seemed to do me good.

"We will no longer be able to show ourselves in public, but I will try to reach you through letters and through Maximilian. I have told him everything from the beginning and he knows about my feelings and intentions with you.

I nodded "I love you Francis"

"I love you too"

Don't forget to leave a star when you've read the chapter.