37- Mary's Return

November 27th, 1562.

Two months passed and so did two months of my pregnancy.

I was now a little over 4 months pregnant and my tummy had become more visible.  Everyone now knew I was pregnant with Francis.

Queen Mother Catherine had congratulated me.  She was only too happy to see that her son was fertile.

To my surprise, my father also responded positively.  He hoped for a boy, he would then be the grandfather of the king's son.  His only son.

Mary's return had been delayed and she did not return at the end of October.  We didn't hear much from her and I didn't know if she knew I was pregnant with her husband.

Francis had given me two new chambermaids, two girls in their 20s named Alice and Rose and a lady-in-waiting named Joan.  They helped me wash and dress and Joan spent the days with me supporting me in my daily tasks.

Francis had made it clear to everyone that my well-being and my pregnancy were first and foremost.

~

I sat with Francis in his private room while he was at work.  I was reading on a soft armchair with my feet on a footstool when I suddenly felt something in my stomach.

"Francis!"  I shouted, he immediately stood up and came to stand next to me "what's going on?"  he asked alertly.

"I felt it.  The baby" I took his hand and placed it on my stomach.  I felt the baby move again and a wide smile appeared on his face.

"My dear, that is wonderful."  he kissed me.

Neither of us noticed that the door to his room had been opened and someone had stepped in.

"My child, my son" he said, "Or daughter" I corrected him.

"Francis?"  Suddenly we heard a voice.  We both turned to the door in shock and saw Mary standing there.  "What does this mean?"  she asked, her voice soft and broken.

"Mary" I stammered, I wanted to get up but Francis pushed me back in the chair.  I still stubbornly stood up and saw Mary's eyes fly from Francis to me and then to my stomach.

I saw that the drop fell with her and that she understood everything now.

"You cheated?"  she asked.  Francis looked at her with a cold look. "I wasn't cheating.  Bianca is the woman I love and want to be with. This has always been the case."

"Is that true Bianca?"  Mary asked me.  "It's true Mary."

She thought after "a year ago you told me you wanted to marry the man you loved but couldn't, did you mean Francis?".  I nodded "and you didn't tell me.  I thought we were friends and you betrayed me."

Francis intervened "she has not betrayed anyone.  I was going to tell you another time, but now that you're here.  I want to cancel our marriage."

"Never.  Our marriage has been consummated and the Pope has authorized it.  Nothing and no one but death can break the marriage Francis and I demand that you banish Bianca and your bastard from court" she said harshly.

"Never, the child is the sign that I am not barren, the child is the sign of the love I have for Bianca.  Out marriage may not be unbreakable, but in my eyes she is my true wife and the Queen of France, not you.  And if I have to, I will name her as my maîtresse en-Titre, so that everyone knows how big and important her role is in my life."

"How dare you!"  she cried.

The title maîtresse en titre was almost as high as the title of queen.  Usually that woman was one of the most powerful persons in the land because of her influence over the king.  They were respected as much as the Queen.

When Diane was  maîtresse en titre, she was always at the king's side.  In addition to his mistress, she was also his advisor.  It was no wonder that Maximilian was given one of the most powerful duchies in France from his father, he did what Diane told him to do.

On official occasions she was the person who stood by King Henry's side instead of Catherine and we were expected to respect her as much as the Queen herself.

"I dare that because I am the king, you can now retire to your rooms, you must be tired from your journey" he looked at her so tightly that even I got scared and Mary walked out of the room with tearful cheeks.  She gave me a hurt look before closing the door behind her.

Francis plopped into the chair.

"Weren't you a little too brutal with her?"  I said softly.  "Yes, but she had to understand what you meant to me."

I looked at him "are you really thinking of making me Maîtresse en titre?".  Francis nodded "If you can't be my queen I can at least give you a title worth almost as much, almost more than Queen of France."

~

Less than a few days later, Francis declared me his official Maîtresse en-Titre.