10 - Tears of Sadness

July 3rd, 1562

The days passed.  Father went back to Italy and left me with a small amount of money, enough to have dozens of dresses made.

It was nice to spend the last days with my father and even though he was only there for a short time, our bond had become much stronger.

Francis ignored me and I didn't understand why.  Whenever we ran into each other, he lowered his eyes to the floor.  When I spoke to him he just kept walking as if I were air to him.

He stopped coming to my room and when I tried to get to him his door was locked.

He spent his time with Mary.  He took her for long walks in the woods or went horseback riding with her.  They were laughing together as if they had known each other for years and flirted with each other as if they were lovers.

My jealousy grew stronger every day and so did my sadness.

I walked reluctantly to the queen's parlor.  She had asked me to come to her and as expected I could not refuse.

I opened the door carefully and made a curtsy "Your Majesty" I said as I walked in.

Catherine sat on a throne-like chair.  two of her ladies-in-waiting sat around her, both sat with straight backs and stern expressions.

"Bianca, come closer please" she said with a smile.  I stood right in front of her.  "Remember when I asked if you could spy on Queen Mary for me?"

"Yes I remember that"

"did you find out anything that is worrying, does she have any plans?"  She leaned forward slightly, "Mary is looking forward to the wedding and seems to like Francis. Other than that she seems to have no intentions other than a good marriage" I said

Catherine nodded in satisfaction and leaned back in her chair again.  She looked me up and down, then gave a concerned expression, "Are you all right?"

I smiled weakly "I've been feeling unwell the last few days, I hope to be able to retire to my rooms as soon as possible until I'm better"

Catherine nodded and motioned for me to leave the room.  I quickly made a curtsy and rushed out of the room.

I walked back to my room with my head bowed.  I wanted to be alone, without anyone around me.

I heard a familiar laugh from the hallway and I knew immediately it was Mary.

Just the person I didn't want to see.

I increased my pace, hoping to get to my room without facing her, but unfortunately she was just rounding the corner and she wasn't alone.  Francis walked beside her and they seemed to be talking.

"Bianca!"  Mary cried when she saw me she came hopping over to me and hugged me as I tried to make a curtsy.

"I have so much to tell you.  We are on our way to the master of ceremonies to sort things out for our wedding."  I looked surprised at "when is the wedding?"

"Haven't you heard, the wedding will be in two weeks," she said happily.  I looked at Francis who avoided my gaze.

"I'm so happy for you" I said with a forced smile.  Mary laughed "Isn't it great.  I have so much to tell you, but we'll do that another time."  She hugged me again and pulled Francis into the hallway.

I saw Francis looked at me briefly and then turned back to Mary.

I continued walking and quickly wiped away the tear that had rolled down my cheek.

A chapters will be super dramatic and I can't wait to write them.