57- The Plan

August 10th, 1566.

"I have something to tell you Francis." I said when everyone had left the room. Charlotte had also been taken by the midwife.

Francis had my hand in his "Tell me dear.".

I looked at him doubtfully. What if he didn't believe me?

"I'm so happy we have a daughter now." I lied. Francis smiled "I'm happy too, very happy myself. She is so beautiful and I can already see that she will be a smart child."

"Margaret and she will be friends. Only I'm afraid there will be a rift between them, Margaret will nevertheless become Queen of Scotland one day, should she never have a brother."

Francis sighed "Margaret will indeed be queen someday, but I will make sure that Charlotte is treated as well as Margaret. Rest now and I'll see you tomorrow." He got up and kissed me before leaving the room.

When he left I sighed softly.

I shouldn't have lied to him but I was scared.

I had to protect my family.

Against everything and everyone.

August 14th, 1566.

When I had gone to church I was able to get out of my room again. I immediately decided to speak to Antonio in one of the secret passages.

I knew there was no one in the hallways around this time because of the breakfast served in the various rooms and took advantage of this.

Antonio came round the corner and bowed "My Lady." he whispered.

"Antonio, thank you for your work. How did you find out?" I whispered back. He smiled briefly. "It took me a lot of work, my lady, I found the person who killed the two nannies but unfortunately I had to kill him after he confessed that the Queen, The Duke of Guise and the Cardinal of Guise were behind the plan."

I nodded briefly. "I want you to kill the Duke and Cardinal Guise. I never want them to threaten my son again. Queen Mary will be alone without those two on her side and will hopefully retire. Do you think there's a way you can get rid of her too?"

Antonio shook his head "the queen is untouchable. But her uncles are easy to get rid of. If you give me permission, I'll go after it right away."

I smiled "Very good Antonio. I want it to look like they died from illness or accident, it shouldn't look like a murder and it shouldn't look like I was behind it."

He nodded, bowed again and left the hall.

I felt a slight sense of guilt bubbling up inside myself but tried to ignore the feeling.

I had to do this for my children.

Bianca is slowly changing from an innocent girl to a new person, a stronger person.

This reminds me a lot of Hurem Sultan or Kösem sultan. Two women who were innocent until they had to protect themselves from their enemies.