17- Family

July 21, 1562

Two days passed and I adjusted to life in Italy.

I found out that my father owned a gigantic book collection and I immersed myself in the dozens of story poems.  I spent a lot of time in the library the last two days, my father and my siblings were still traveling and I didn't know anyone else in Florence.

~

I was in the library engrossed in a book when Camilla walked in.

"Madonna, your father has arrived," she announced.  I bounced from my seat and ran down the hall to the main entrance.

My father just walked in and said something to a guard.  He was followed by a younger woman and three boys.

"Father!"  I shouted happily as I jumped his arms.  "My Bianca, my rose. How are you? I'm sorry I couldn't receive you, but your letter arrived so late," Father said with a smile.

"I'm doing very well. I already feel completely at home here" I said.  I looked behind his shoulders at the group and father noticed this "Go say hello to your siblings".

I nodded and walked to my older sister "Isabella" I said, then I kissed her cheek "You have grown up to be beautiful, Bianca. Welcome home" she said while looking at me admiringly.

I walked to my two brothers, Francesco and Ferdinand.  "Brothers, won't you come and greet me" I said to them as I looked at both.  They came over to me and kissed me on my cheeks. "It's nice to see you again, Bia" said Francesco, The oldest of us all. Ferdinand said nothing but just smiled.

"Are you my sister?"  asked the youngest of the group, my brother Pietro.  "Yes that's me.  How you have grown Pietro.  The last time I saw you you were tiny" I said bending my knees "But look now, you're almost a giant"

Pietro smiled broadly "Do you really think I look like a giant", "Yes, you almost scare me" I said shocked.

"I don't remember you very well Bianca, but I like you very much" he said, he suddenly hugged me, causing me to recoil a bit surprised. "I like you very much too, Pietro."  I said, hugging him tighter.

~

That evening at dinner there was a pleasant conversation about the table.  We talked about our childhood, what they experienced when I was in France and what I had experienced in France.  I found out that my sister was somewhat married to a man from a powerful Roman family and that my brother Francesco hoped one day to become a cardinal.  My father told us about his past in the army with our grandfather.

I had missed these moments with my family.  In France I had had a lot of people around me but that felt different from this.  These people really loved me the same way I loved them.

I finally had my family back.

What do you think of Bianca so far and which character do you hate the most in this book?  For me personally, that's King Henry.

Next chapter we will fast forward a year and get to know our new villain.