48- The Heir Apparent

June 3rd, 1566
Francis pov

"Gentlemen. I have convened the council today to discuss an important matter." I said as I entered the room and sat down.

"As you have probably heard, the Queen has given birth to a daughter, and to our chagrin, no heir to the throne. I have therefore decided to take the necessary measures to establish the security of our country." I looked at them all. "My brother Charles has publicly expressed his interest in the Protestant faith and therefore cannot be my heir apparent."

"Do you intend to change the line of succession." said Lord Blois. "Yes, I do intend to. I declare, here in this council and before God, that my son Louis Valois shall be my successor, should the queen not have borne a son before my death."

It wasn't long before the noise in the room started. "It is not possible!" cried the Duke of Guise angrily.

I looked at him questioningly "Why wouldn't it be possible.". "He is illegitimate and you have a daughter."

I smiled. "He is legitimized and I intend to write to the Holy Father for his permission to make Louis my heir apparent."

He looked at me grimly.

I continued again "The new line of succession will follow shortly. My son Louis and then my daughter Margaret her sons. If the child the Lady Bianca bears is a boy, after his recognition he will follow my son Louis, if it is a girl, her sons will follow after Margaret's. Is there any objection?"

It remained silent. And I smiled happily.

"Then I close today's council, have a nice day gentlemen." I walked out of the room.

~
Mary pov

"My lord, you may not enter. The queen has not yet gone to church." Said my lady-in-waiting Maggie. She was standing by the door, obviously trying to keep someone out.

"Who is it, Maggie?" I asked annoyed from the bed. "Your uncle, the duke of guise." She said.

"Let him in."

Uncle stomped inside. He didn't even bother to bow before yelling at me.

"You have failed the family, Mary. The king has declared in council today that Louis will be his heir apparent! We've lost the French crown because of you and your damn daughter!"

I swallowed my tears. "Don't forget who you're talking to, Uncle. I am still the Queen of Scotland, more than you ever will be. You must respect me and my daughter, she is not only the princess of France but will take the Scottish throne from me, remember that well." I said.

He smiled sourly. "The Scottish throne has never been worth anything, Niece. While you were disappointing your family, your enemy Queen Elizabeth announced her betrothal to your cousin. He too has a claim to the Scottish throne and if she, unlike you, should have a son, Scotland is lost to you." He walked to the door. "You've lost, Mary. Your enemy Bianca has already won, now only Elizabeth." He walked out of the room.

I screamed, the anger in me was too great.

I was losing everything. My crown, my respect even my own husband.

I had to do something about this. I had to get rid of Bianca and her son.

Or else they would be my downfall.