07- Father and Daughter

June 26, 1562

The day that I would meet my father again soon arrived.

My father will first be welcomed by the king after which they would discuss their 'Important' affairs, then I assumed that my father would like to spend his time with me before returning to Tuscany 3 days after his arrival.

I paced nervously in front of the king's study where he and Father were talking. I fumbled with my chain, something I always did when I was tense or nervous.

I had dressed in a gray dress and had my hair loose on my back. Other than my necklace, I had no other jewelry on. I wanted to appear modest, I wanted to show my father what state he had left me in.

The door suddenly slammed open and the king came out of the room with my father behind him. I made a deep curtsy keeping my face to the ground "Your Majesty"

"Ah Bianca, I assume you're here for your father?" Asked King Henry, I rose again "Yes Your Majesty" I said with a beaming smile. I had to appear confident, my father had to see how dignified his bastard was.

"May I tell you, Cosimo, that you should be proud of your daughter. She is an expert in courtesy, a true pearl," said the king. "I am glad to hear that, Your Majesty." My father said. His French was good, but his accent shot out with every word.

"I'll leave you two alone, I'll see you at dinner." The king followed his guards into the hall, leaving me and my Father behind.

Father turned to me "You have grown up" he said emotionally "How are you?".  "I'm fine" I just said.

There was an unbearable silence between us and I thought in my head what to say, but father was ahead of me, "Shall we go for a walk?"  He asked, I nodded and so we walked in silence into the gardens.

"I'm sorry for your loss" I said when we got to the gardens, it was quiet, most people would rather be inside around this time.  Father smiled sadly "Your siblings are heartbroken by her death, especially the youngest"

"I don't remember much about my younger siblings, who do you mean?"  I asked, I was ashamed to tell him I didn't know anything about my own family anymore. Father didn't seem to mind "Your younger brother Pietro, he's 7 years old"

"Ah, I remember him, he was born a few months before I left" the thought of the bulbs baby made me smile "he was such a sweet baby, I guess he's very naughty now"

Father chuckled "He sure is, just like you were when you were young. Eleanor drove herself crazy just to calm him down for a few minutes."

On hearing the name Eleanor my smile disappeared again, something my father noticed.

"How are my other siblings?"  I asked to change the subject, but this time it was Father's smile that faded "Maria, Giovanni, Lucrezia, Garzia, Antonio and Anna all passed away in quick succession."  he said sadly.

I felt tears sting my eyes, most of the siblings I grew up with were already dead and I knew nothing about it.  "Only you, Isabella, Francesco, Ferdinand and Pietro are still alive" father continued.

"I am a girl, and your bastard.  So you will be of little use to me," I whispered sadly.  Father grabbed me tight by the arm "You're my daughter, for God's sake.  You are my daughter legitimate and of my blood, you are a Medici.  Never forget that because that makes you a worthy person" he said sternly.

I nodded, unable to respond to his words.  He saw me as his daughter so I had to accept that title too.

"What are you doing here in France, father?"  I suddenly asked.  When I received his letter I was already interested in what matters he wanted to discuss with the king.  Was it about me?  Politics or was there another war?

"Businesses" he said curtly, "I already understood that, father" I smiled "but I thought you would tell me what kind of business.  As your daughter and the only medics you can trust at the French court, it seems quite logical for you to tell me that."

Father looked pleased "You are a smart girl.  The king wants to make an alliance with Florence" I looked up in surprise "and how does he want to do that?  By marriage?"  I asked a little too enthusiastically.

Father motioned for me to speak more softly.  We were still walking through the gardens and even though it was quiet I wouldn't be surprised if someone was spying on us in the bushes.

"I'm not sure.  If it was through marriage I wonder which of his children he would want to use, Francisco is 21, Ferdinand is 13 and Pietro is 7. His eldest daughter is already married and I am afraid his other daughters are too young" whispered  father as he gently pulled me to the back of the gardens.  "You still have me, father, or am I not going to pay for your political plans"

Father raised his eyebrow briefly "Of course, but the king has no sons your age.  Except his son with Diane de Poitiers, but I'm not going to do that to you.  You deserve a marriage worthy of your name"

"And then the Dauphin" I introduced uncertainly.  "If I have understood correctly, he is engaged to the Scottish Queen, isn't he?  Or are you and the Dauphin romantically involved in some way?" Father looked at me quizzically.

I started fiddling nervously with my chain again.  I could now tell him the truth that Francis told me he loved me, or I could deny everything.

"He told me he loved me" I said softly "and the feelings are mutual"

Father remained silent and I looked at him scared.  He didn't have an expression on his face that I should worry about.

He cleared his throat briefly. "You know his engagement isn't so easy to call off.  Scotland has more to offer France than Florence.  It's a lost cause" I looked at him almost pleadingly "you can try to subtly bring it up on him.  When you engage him again and the subject drifts to your alliance"

Father nodded "I can try but don't expect too much.  There are only two outcomes.  Either you will become the future queen of France or you will marry another man who can contribute to your home with glory."

I nodded.

If my father succeeded, and the king agreed, Francis and I would be together forever.

Otherwise I will live in misery all my life.