65- Hercule

October 26th, 1576.

I pushed as hard as I could, as if my life depended on it. This was my fourth delivery and I thought it would be much easier but I was wrong.

I had been pushing for half an hour and there was still no baby.

I pushed again and then, finally, the baby was here.

The baby had a strong cry and I immediately felt reassured. My hunch had been false.

"A healthy boy, Your Highness, a boy!"

~

When Francis entered the room after we were washed.

I beamed at him with the swaddled baby in my arms. "Your son, Francis."

He walked over to me and took the baby from me and looked at him admiringly.  "He's beautiful, really beautiful."

I smiled. "I made up a name for him. I want to call him Hercule."

Francis nodded "Hercule, our son Hercule."

The door opened and Louis, Margaret, Charlotte and Nicolas came running into the room.

"We heard the baby was born. Is it a boy or a girl?" Louis asked curiously. Francis smiled and stroked his curls. "You've got a little brother. His name is Hercule."

They all gathered around Francis and looked at Hercule. He opened his eyes very briefly. He had beautiful brown eyes, just like me.

"Welcome to the world, Hercule." said Charlotte.

~
November 17th, 1576

Hercule was baptized two weeks later in the chapel. His godmother was my sister Isabella and his godfather had been my brother Pietro, only they couldn't be there.

He would be cared for by the same nurse who had looked after the other 3 children.  I had trusted her with my life over the years.

I was in my room with Cecily when I received a letter. I tore it open disinterestedly and read it quickly.

Dear sister,

It is with a heavy heart that I must tell you that we have lost our father. Old age has struck him and he died in his sleep, it was a peaceful death.

The funeral will take place at the end of November and we would appreciate it if you would also come and pay your respect to our father.

Your loving sister.

Isabella De'Medici.

I felt my heart shatter and tears ran down my cheeks and before I knew it I started sobbing.

Cecily looked at me concerned and immediately came to comfort me "what is going on, Bianca." she asked concerned.

I felt myself collapse in her arms. "My father, he is dead."  I sobbed again.

"That's horrible. I'm sorry."  She hugged me.

My poor father.

~
November 24th, 1676.

A few days later I left for Tuscany without the children.

It hurt me to leave my children in France, especially Hercule who was just born, but I couldn't take them with me.

When I arrived in Florence, I was received by Isabella, who was dressed in black just like me. When I saw her I immediately ran into her arms. I hadn't seen her in over 12 years and only wrote to each other. I had missed her more than I ever had.

She looked at me moved "How are you Bia.". I smiled sadly "It's okay, how about you?"

"It's okay. Come in it's cold, Leonora and Virginio would like to meet their aunt." She gently pulled me into the palace.

"Children!" She cried "Come and greet your Aunt Bianca!"

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and then I saw them. Leonora, whom I had last seen when she was just a baby, had grown into a beautiful young lady of 13 years old. Her brother Virginia was only 4 years old and we didn't know each other yet.

I hugged them both. "You grew up Leonora. You look like your grandmother." She smiled shyly "Thank you Aunt."

Isabella again dragged me into one of the drawing rooms in the palace. Francesco, Ferdinand and Pietro sat on the benches, all three also dressed in black. When they saw me they got up and hugged me.

The family was finally complete again except for my father.

Francesco had now become the Grand Duke. Something that would be a great burden to him.

But together we would get through it.