22- Grandduke

August 22th, 1562

The next morning I was awakened by the warm sunlight shining over my face.  About 5 maids walked into the room and started to pick up the items scattered around the room.  I moaned annoyed at the noise they were making and then sat up in bed.

When I looked next to me I saw that Ottavio was no longer next to me and I thanked heaven for that.

When I thought back to the previous night I felt the shivers run down my body.  It was horrible and I lay in pain all night.  Not that Ottavio seemed to care because when he was done he fell into a deep sleep.

"Help me get ready" I said to the maids as I got out of bed.  Immediately two maids came over to help me take off my nightgown and take me to the bath they had placed in the middle of the room.

The other three maids walked to the bed where they pulled the covers off the mattress.  When they got to the sheet they gave each other a look.  I was a virgin.

"Where's my husband?"  I asked the maid who ran the sponge over my body "He's getting ready in his rooms. What would you like for breakfast, Madonna?"

"Nothing" I said "Add some hotter water to the bath"

~

After my bath, I was dried off and put into a light blue dress with gold accents.  I wore my mother's necklace and a pair of gold rings.

My long hair was pinned into a braided chignon and I wore a net of gold thread over it.

I looked like an innocent girl, still sweet and soft.  But inside I felt empty, as if all my happiness and hope had been sucked out of me.

I knew I had to wear a mask to the outside world, I had to look like a happy newlywed, like someone madly in love with her husband.

Today my father would be made Grand Duke and then this whole marriage would not have been in vain.

There was a brief knock on the door and Isabella burst in.

"Good morning my beautiful sister" she said in a lilting tone as she hugged me "You are wearing a beautiful dress"

I smiled "Good morning Isabella, I'm all set so we can leave"

Isabella nodded and hooked her arm through mine as we walked down the halls.

"How was your wedding night?"  she whispered softly as we descended the stairs.  "Unpleasant"

She looked at me with concern. "Did he hurt you?  If so I'll finish him", "Well, he was a little rough, but he didn't hurt me"

"Not yet"

I wanted to ask what Isabella meant by that, but we walked into the sala regia and took our seats at the front of the room.  As the daughters of the man to be crowned, we should, of course, be in the front, along with my brother and my husband.

Francesco was already there with Ottavio and we greeted them by kissing them on the cheeks.

I took my place between Ottavio and Isabella and looked ahead.

Ottavio tapped me "Did you sleep well, wife?"  He asked.  I nodded "Very good, and you?"  I lied

"good, like a child.  I hope you enjoyed the night as much as I did", I smiled without saying a word and turned away again.

The imbecile.

"Make way for His Holiness and His Highness, Grand Duke Cosimo," cried the footman across the hall. Everyone sank to their knees as the Pope and my father passed and walked to the platform at the front of the room.

"Today, I, Pope Alexander Sixtus, appoint Cosimo De'Medici Grand Duke of Tuscany." The pope shouted across the room, "and anyone who opposes it is against us, the pope and god. long live Grand Duke Cosimo"

"Long live Grand Duke Cosimo!" Everyone yelled after him.

This will be the rise of the Medici.

Who is your most hated character ?