31- An Act Of Love

Don't forget to vote!

June 6, 1563

"Welcome back, My lady," said the footman as I entered the palace, "Thank you, could you call some servants to take my things to my room?"  I asked kindly, I was so happy to be back in France.

"Of course" the footman bowed and went to work.  I walked up the marble stairs to my bedroom where I jumped on the bed.

It felt like a breath of fresh air to be away from Italy.  In Italy I was constantly reminded that I was once married and that he had been killed in such a brutal way.  Again and again people came to give me condolences and I had to look constant and sad to avoid noise.

But here in France I could be myself again.  I had exchanged my black wardrobe for a colorful one and no longer wore a black veil.  I was free from the handcuffs that called himself Ottavio and could go wherever I wanted.

There was a short knock on the door and I expected the servers with my things, but when I called for the person to come into my room, it turned out to be Francis.

I got up from the bed and made a short curtsy before flying into his arms.  "I'm so happy to see you" I said.  Francis smiled "I'm also very happy to see you Bia.  Come with me, let's go for a ride."  With my hand in his, he walked out of the room to the stables where two horses were already waiting.

We drove at high speed through the palace park.  The warm summer sun burned my skin but I enjoyed it.

"Where's Mary?  Does she know you're with me?"  I asked when we drove a bit more slowly. "I told her I was going out for a ride," he replied.

"That was it?".

  "That was it".

He smiled at me and I unconsciously smiled back.

"You look happier now that you're a widow," Francis commented.  The smile disappeared from my face "I already told you he had loose hands.  His death may have saved my life."

"I know that.  You didn't think I'd leave you in his hands, did you?"

I looked at him incomprehensibly. "What do Francis mean?  I do not understand"

Francis looked at me briefly "Ottavio was killed on the road from Fontainebleau to Dijon by 5 men, wasn't he?".  I nodded "How do you know"

"Because I am the person who ordered his death, My love.  I would never let you suffer in that bastard's hand."

I stopped driving, shocked by the words Francis just spoke.  "But how?"  I stammered.

Francis also stopped driving and came to stand next to me "From the moment you told me he was hurting you I knew he had to die so I asked my secret guards to chase you as you leave and kill him".

I felt a tear roll down my cheek "I'm so grateful for this.  Thank you Francis" I said emotionally.  "I would do anything for you my love."

Francis smiled and urged his horse to carry on.  I did the same and we drove on in silence.

"What's going to happen to us now, Francis?"  I suddenly asked, "You are married to Mary.  We could never be together as long as your marriage is valid."

Francis thought "I don't know.  If I could, I'd be with you for the rest of my life.  We can still be together but in secret, until I find a way out of this marriage."

I nodded briefly and was about to answer until suddenly we heard a scream and then another.

I looked at Francis in shock and he also seemed to be shocked.

"What is going on?"  I whispered softly to him, he shrugged and then rose towards the sound.

"Francis, stay here!"  I whispered loudly but he ignored me and drove on.

Need some women's names so comment what you like.