67- The Plague

December 2nd, 1576.

Arriving in France, the palace was in turmoil. Everyone seemed to be panicked by the plague.

I dragged Leonora through the palace behind me to avoid coming into contact with anyone.

Everyone in the hallways looked at me with a pitying look. Did they know that my father had passed away?

I saw Louis running down the hall to Francis's room and I walked into the room with concern as well.

Francis's room was full. I saw Charlotte sitting with Nicolas. She had a serious expression on her face. Francis sat with his hands over his face as Maximilian comforted him.

I looked around startled "What's going on?" I asked scared.

Everyone looked up in shock and when the children saw me they ran to me and hugged me.

"What is going on?" I asked again.

Cecily got up and came to face me.

"Hercule's nursemaid got the plague and passed it on to Hercule. He's seriously ill, Bianca. There's a slim chance he'll survive."

I felt everything turn black before my eyes and before I knew it I fell unconscious.

~

When I woke up again I found myself in Francis's bed. I immediately sat up and looked around. The children were lying around me on the bed and Francis was still sitting on the armchair. His skin was pale and his eyes were embraced red.

"Francis." I said softly as I carefully climbed out of the bed and sat down next to him.

He looked up "I didn't know she had the plague Bianca, Really. He was suddenly sick." His voice broke.

"I know, all will be well with God's will. He won't take him away from us, never will." I said. I didn't even believe my own words. "We will pray for his health."

He nodded and woke the children to join in the prayer.

We prayed for an hour until a maid interrupted us from our prayers.

She looked at her feet. "I'm sorry Your Majesty. But your son has passed away."

I felt something break inside me, as if I hadn't already been broken by my father's death.

I collapsed to the ground and screamed. It was a heart-rending sound and I saw the children startled. But it didn't bother me.

My baby was dead. The child who had just lived for 37 days had died of such a terrible disease.

I couldn't even have bonded with him. He never walked or spoke.

I couldn't have given him my full love yet.

I was a terrible mother.