59- Two sinners

20 august, 1566.

When I got back to my room, my chambermaids helped me undress and put on my nightgown.

"Thank you, you can go." I said when they were done. They made a curtsy and left the room.

My thoughts were everywhere. Who killed the duke of guise? And why did he and Mary look at me at the party?

What if someone had found out what I had planned?

I had to stop Antonio. Now that the duke was dead, he will go after the cardinal.

No, I couldn't.

I put on my dressing gown and walked out into the hallway. I slipped into Francis's room.

He was in his bed. He was not sleeping, but lay looking at the decorated ceiling.

"Francis." I said, I sat on the bed with my back to him.

"Yes Bianca, what's going on?"

I sighed. "I have to confess something to you, something bad." I said softly. I felt Francis sit up in the bed.

"I found out a few weeks ago who was behind Louis's murder plan. It was the Guise brothers and Mary. I was so angry and didn't think well and sent someone to kill the brothers." I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

"But the Duke's death today was not his work. I'm afraid someone found out, Francis."

I turned carefully to Francis. He didn't look at me.

"Why didn't you discuss this with me first? What if someone found out, how could I have protected you. They would force me to execute you." he said calmly. "I was afraid, afraid you wouldn't believe me, afraid you wouldn't be behind my plan. I did it for our son and for you and the safety of France!" I cried panicked.

Francis sighed and sat down next to me. "Calm down now. You don't have to be afraid of anything. But next time I want you to discuss this with me. never do such things again without my permission."

I nodded. "But what if someone found out. He was just killed right in front of us."

Francis smiled briefly "What kind of king will I be if I did not eliminate my own enemies."

Short chapter.