19- The Pope And His Bastard

August 10th, 1563

"We're almost there" said Isabella, she sat opposite of me in the closed carriage, she looked at me smiling but I did not return the smile.

My father had already made plans that day of the conversation to travel to the Papal State with Francesco and Isabella.  The two youngest stayed at home under Camilla's supervision.  He bought me new dresses and loaded me with jewels of the best quality to thank me for my 'service' to the family.  Apparently this was something he did to all his daughters when they were married off to total strangers, Isabella said.

Only this time the marriage meant more.  It was about a grand duchy.

"Don't look so sour, Bianca. Do you want to frighten the holy father and his son?" Isabella said sternly now.  I gave a short, forced smile before turning my face back to the window.  Isabella sighed but said nothing more.

The journey continued in silence and I finally fell asleep.

"Bianca!"  Isabella shouted as she shook me from side to side.  I woke up from my sleep and slowly sat up. "What is it Isabella?" I said irritated as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

"We're almost there, get ready, we're going to meet the holy father right away" she said, looking at me searchingly "And don't look so angry"

I rolled my eyes and rearranged my hair.  I was fed up with Isabella's constant comments and snarling.

"Are you happy now?" I hissed when I had cleaned myself up.  She nodded with satisfaction, "when we enter the palace you will walk behind father and next to me. Francesco walks right behind father and behind us follow Ferdinand and Pietro."  She explained to me "Don't forget to kiss his ring before you greet the Pope"

"I know how it works Isabella. I may have come from France, but I know how to address the Pope"

Isabella chuckled briefly and then took my hand "I know you're scared, marriage is not just something. You will have to live with this man for the rest of your life, with God's will. I remember when I married Paolo  I was only 16 years old and terrified, but it was all for nothing."

I listened to Isabella with interest.  Even though I didn't want to admit it, I was terrified of marriage, especially since I would marry someone I didn't know and could never love.

Isabella continued "The day after the wedding he left and I was alone again. As if I had never been married. Father decided to keep me and my dowry in Florence while my husband was in Rome and did whatever."  I looked at her pityingly "that must have been terrible for you"

Isabella smiled bitterly . "It certainly was, but I'm getting used to it. We're here."

I looked out the window and saw that we had arrived in front of the Papal Palace.  St. Peter's Square was full of people passing by or standing in front of the palace to catch a glimpse of the Holy Father.

Francesco got off his horse and opened the door of the carriage after which he helped Isabella and me out of the carriage.

"This is it children .  In a few days we'll be at the top of Italy" Said father who had joined us "Let's go in" He gave me a quick glance, examining me, probably looking for an imperfection to improve, but  smiled contentedly when he saw that there was none.

We followed our father into the ecclesiastical palace.  I was amazed at the beautiful interior of the palace and the dozens of works of art.

Isabella leaned towards me "You see, marriage doesn't just bring bad things.  You will live in this beautiful palace" she whispered softly.

I smiled as I looked around.

Father stopped at a large closed door and took a deep breath before motioning for the lackeys to open the door.

We walked into the Sala regia (A kind of throne room).  The Pope sat on a throne-like chair, next to him was a young man, probably his son.

"Holy Father" Father said when we arrived at the Pope.  He got down on his knees and we imitated him.  "Cosimo De'Medici" said the Pope, sounding expectant.

Father took his hand and kissed the ring on his hand, then he stood up.  "May I introduce you to my children.  Francesco, Isabella and Bianca De'Medici, Your Holiness"

My siblings and I now got up and walked to the Holy Father where we took turns kissing his ring.  When it was my turn he looked at me for a long time.

"This is the daughter?"  he asked my father.  "Yes, Your Holiness."  The Pope smiled "Stand up my child"

I stood up gracefully and gave him my courteous smile.  I knew that, just as any man, I could win him over with my beauty and intelligence, just as my father wanted.

The holy father gestured for his son to come forward "My son Ottavio" he said "Go and greet your bride-to-be, son"

Ottavio walked over to me and I offered my hand for him to kiss.  His lips felt warm against my cold hand and I had to stop myself from pulling my hand back.

"Madonna Bianca, it's an honor to meet you," he said, his voice sounding heavy, as if he was already in his thirties.  I smiled. "Likewise Messer, I'm more than happy to meet you and your father.  This is my first time in the papal state.  You'll have to show me around once."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Isabella nod, indicating that I was doing the right thing.

"But of course Madonna"

The Pope clapped his hands "Well, shall we discuss the marriage agreements, Medici?  Let's just two future ones, I'll see to it that the rooms are prepared for you and your children." He got up and left the room, Father gave me a brief look before following the Pope.

I need some male and female names, would you be so kind to put the names you like here in the comments.  I will really appreciate that.