Chapter 16: Talk

It had been a few days since the awkward encounter with Zack at the beach, and I was hesitant to answer any of the phone calls from Stella. So, for the most part, I let it go to voicemail, deleting the message as soon as it appeared. I wasn't sure why I continued to do that, but every time her name appeared, my stomach would jump into my throat. I guess I was just a little scared of whatever Stella was going to say about Zack.

        Okay, I wasn't just a little scared. I was terrified.

        I wasn't sure why, either. I knew Zack so well when we used to date. He was familiar to me, and used to be comforting, really. From the looks of it, he didn't change all that much in six years, either. It was the way things ended; the waythat I wasn't sure what would come of this. I knew when I left I had a purpose, to get away from it all. Coming back into it, I'm not sure what either of us are looking for.

        That's what scared me the most.

        I was working, fixing drinks for a group of girls that were gossiping about some people they knew. I didn't really listen to what was coming out of their mouths; it didn't matter to me in the slightest wo was dating who in their little teenage world.

        Their orders were complicated, asking for drinks but getting rid of certain ingredients and substituting in different ones. Sixteen year old girls were the hardest to deal with, but I couldn't complain, they were about the third group I had to deal with the entire day.

        I was fixing the third girls drink when the bell above the door rang, the noise of the LA streets filing my ears temporarily before muting again when the door closed. I glanced up for a moment, fingers hesitating on the lid of the drink. My throat dried out when I noticed the light brown locks sitting at a table in the corner of theshop, fingers folding on top of the table after putting his water down. His eyes met mine from across the room, and I felt the walls close around me. What was he doing here?

        Obviously I knew why he was here, but I wasn't sure what he had to say. His expression was hard to read, he was always difficult for me to figure out. He didn't seem mad at the beach, but maybe it was because he was just shocked. Maybe he was coming here to yell at me, to tell me I was a piece of shit and that I didn't deserve anyone. It's what I get for what I did, honestly. It wasn't long before the girls noticed the rock star sitting at the table. One of them squealed quietly, gaining the attention of the girls. They began to whisper loudly, and Ik new that he could hear their comments about All Time Low's bassist being in the same place as them.

        "He's so hot!"

        "Oh my God, I love All Time Low!"

        "What is he doing here?"

        "I cannot believe Zackary Joseph Merrick is in the same Starbucks as us!" One of them was grinning widely, like they should be impressed that she knew his full name. I stifled a laugh, handing the last girl her drink. They looked over my face, disgusted with my giggle.

        "His middle name is Steven," I corrected softly, ringing up their order. I quickly punched in the prices. "That'll be fifteen sixty."

        The girl scoffed at me, flipping her fake blonde hair over her shoulder, but proceeded to pay me the inexpensive bill with what I figured was her rich daddy's credit card, "It's Joseph, I read it on a blog.

        "It's Steven, trust me," I said while giving her a knowing smile, handing her back the card. I could never forget Zack's middle name. I could never forget a lot about Zack, actually.

        "How would you even know?" One of them laughed at me, rolling their eyes like I didn't know what I was talking about. I noticed Zack stand from the corner, walking towards the counter. The girls froze as he glanced at them with a smile, before turning to meet my eyes.

(3) Not the Same: An All Time Low Fanfiction Romanceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें