Chapter 32: Studying

I never noticed how quiet it was in my apartment until Craig left. I didn't realize just how many small noises existed until he was thousands of miles away. The way the heater creaked, or how the air conditioner that we had in the window rumbled softly against the pane. I guess you realize things when you're left alone in a space by yourself.

        My books were spread across my bed, and I was focusing on the papers in front of me. I really did have a big test when I spoke to Craig on the phone the night before, that wasn't a lie. I wasn't too concerned about it at this point. Looking at all the papers I wrote on it and considerng how well I did, it wasn't a big deal. But I always had to study, regardless of my confidence. It was a part of who I was.

        I hadn't bothered to call Craig back, and I knew that he wasn't concerned when he didn't try to get a hold of me again. I guess I'd have to wait another week before he would call me, maybe longer. That still caused that pinching feeling in my chest, not liking the thought, and I was trying to figure out why.

        My thoughts were interrupted when the intercom by the door buzzed loudly, causing me to jump. I let out a sigh, picking myself up off my bed before slipping in my socks to the front of the apartment. I figured it was Stella and Kara, coming over, buzzing them in without feelingthe need to speak.

        I stretched, wandering to the sink to get a glass and fill it with water. I placed it against my lips, leaning against the counter. It was pretty warm in here, even with the air conditioner on full blast. I'd have to save up some money and get a new one. I was in a tank top and shorts and I was still hot.

        There was a knock on the door, and I set down the glass. I was surprised when I didn't see two girls standing behind the door, but a light haired boy that made me smile.

        "What are you doing here?" I asked, leaning against the door while I held it open. He shrugged, taking two steps closer to me, hands finding my hips while he continued to move in, causing me to step backwards with him. I let go of the door and kicked it closed with my foot.

        "We got off early tonight," he paused, ducking his head lower to capture my lips. I didn't really care why he was here, I was just happy he was.

        It amazed me how he still smelled and tasted the same way he did in high school. He even moved his mouth the same way, but it never did feel familiar. It was always a different experience kissing Zack every time it happened, and I wasn't sure if that was in my head or not.

        "You picked a bad night, I'm studying," I pouted against his lips. He shrugged, not seeming too distraught about the idea. I remembered the few times that I denied Craig because of school, he would get mad and say I'm too into school work. I knew Zack always liked that about me, even when I was only in high school with college classes.

        "I figured Stella and Kara would be here soon, so I won't bug you for long," he said with a smirk. I rolled my eyes as he stepped away, stripping himself of the sweatshirt he was wearing. I'm sure it was freezing cold in the studio they were working in all day.

        He placed it on the couch while I started towards my room again, nodding for him to follow. He did willingly, chuckling lightly as he walked through the threshold. I forgot he hadn't seen my room yet.        

        "You used to study like this in high school," he motioned towards the notes on my bed. I usually lay on my stomach, moving whatever work I needed to do in front of me before switching. It was a little organization in my crazy schedule. I looked over at him as he glanced at what I was learning.

        "If you're making fun of my habits, I might be slightly offended," I said, sitting on top of my full sized bed, my dark green comforter sinking with my weight. Zack followed me as I rested my head against the headboard, watching him as he got a better look at my work.

        "I used to like watching you study. It was interesting," he smiled at me, continuing to walk towards me. I raised my eyebrows, another grin forming.

        "That sounds almost as fun as watching paint dry," I teased, crossing my legs, letting Zack sit on the edge of the mattress, torso bumping my legs. His hand fell on top of one of my calves, thumb rubbing my skin gently.

        "What can I say? I like the boring ones," he said with a smirk, causing my heart to pump harder. My face turned a shade of scarlet while he leaned closer with another laugh. I closed the gap almost as quickly, tugging on his shirt, bringing him closer to me.

        He didn't pull away like I thought he might, but pressed his lips to mine harder instead. My fingers trailed through his hair, pushing my back off the headboard, body twisting before lying down horizontally. Zack's lips never left mine, only adjusting to the change by hovering over me, avoiding crushing me by using his arms to hold him up.

        I would never get used to the way he kissed me, or the way my heart went into palpitations whenever he was this close. I couldn't help how quickly I was willing to get into another relationship with Zack, or how physically attracted we were to one another on top of feelings. It was just the continuation of high school; there was no need to start slow. I didn't want to either, honestly. My body ached at the thought of all the years I went without him, all the year I denied just how much I wanted this.

        I heard two loud thumps of books falling off my bed, but I didn't care. I only arched my back off the bed, chest pressing to his willingly. One hand found my lower back, holding me there while balancing his weight on his other. The sounds of our breathing were the only other sounds in the silent apartment.

        I jumped at the sound of his phone ringing, fingers freezing for only a moment before he was kissing me again. "Ignored it," He said in a raspy whisper, eyes fixing on mine. In high school, he would've pulled himself away, but I didn't ask questions. I only nodded, closing my lids once again to get lost in his smell. I pushed the sound of his ringtone out of my mind until it subsided, just us once again.

        It was only another minute before the sound filled the air again. Zack let out a defeated sigh against my mouth, inhaling and exhaling deeply through his nose to regulate his breathing. He let his grip on my back go, letting me slide back onto the bed while I panted for air, face flushed.

        I looked up at him, while he glanced to his pocket, pulling out his phone. He pushed a button on the screen before putting it to his ear. "Hello?" he answered in a gruff voice.

        I laughed silently, hand falling over my mouth to contain the noise. He looked down at me, trying not to smile. "Yeah, I'm with her, why?" My heart fluttered at the words, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was just the simple fact that it was true that Zack was with me.

        He continued to listen to the receiver while I lifted my fingers to trail the side of his jaw lightly. He shivered, looking down with narrow eyes. I giggled again, hand moving to his neck, and down to his collarbone that hung out of his white v-neck. He let out a breath, eyes following mine. I smirked at him.

        "Okay, we'll be there," He said, hanging up without a goodbye. He tossed his phone to the side before glancing down at me again. "Was that necessary?"

        "No," I smiled, picking myself off of the bed to kiss him again. He chuckled once, kissing me back.

        "Kara was tired so they just went back to Stella's place, so they're making dinner and want us to come over," he said, fingers touching my side. I nodded, legs wrapping around his waist. My chest was still pumping erratically, hands warm.

        If I could have stayed like that for the rest of my life, I might have just done that.