Chapter 41: Fighting Chance

"Isn't that the cutest thing I've ever seen," Jack's voice filled my ears while my eyes fluttered open. I sucked in a breath, noticing just how close his face was to mine when he stared at me, big nose the only thing in my line of vision.

        My left ear rested against Zack's chest, listening to the erratic heartbeat that had ensued when the boys had invited themselves into Zack's apartment. I could faintly hear Stella's, Alex's and Rian's voices from the kitchen behind the swinging door. There was another girl that I couldn't place.

        "I don't even know why I gave you moron's a spare key," Zack grumbled beneath me, causing my ear to vibrate against his stomach. He glanced over at Jack before punching him in the arm. "You look like a pedophile when you look at her like that."

        Jack reached for his skinny arm, rubbing it while letting out a girly shriek before disappearing to the kitchen where I'm sure he smelled food. I rolled my eyes, turning my head to face the back of the couch. I could feel Zack's finger touch a lock of my hair, playing with it in his hands. I let out a small breath, placing my hands on the sofa on either side of his chest to lift myself up.

        "Nap time over," I teased while Zack's eyes closed slowly. I leaned towards him, barely pressing my lips to his before pulling away. He let out a short groan, eyelids opening again.

        "You kill me when you do that," He muttered softly, a smile on his mouth. I laughed once, placing my foot on the ground to gain balance before standing up completely. He sighed softly, swinging his legs to the floor and rubbing his eyes.

        "You'd think by now that he's actually getting laid with the way she has him whipped," Jack sighed from the doorway, holding it open with his back. He had a hag of Sun Chips in one hand, while stuffing his other inside of it. He pulled out multiple chips before cramming them into his mouth.

        My ears turned hot at the comment, seeing Stella snicker from the other side of the door with three people next to her. There was a girl with shorter, dark brown hair with blonde streaks lining the front. The moment I looked at her, I knew she was familiar, from the cover of an off-stream magazine.

        "Says the kid that hasn't gotten any since high school," Zack said quickly as he stood up. I took a step away to let him out of the space between the coffee table and the couch, running my fingers through my hair. I'm sure I looked like a hot mess in my work clothes that I neer bothered to change out of.

        "That's not what your mom said last night," Jack yelled, seeming proud of his comment. It only gained more eye rolls in his direction from his friends behind him and another two from Zack and me.

        We migrated forward to the kitchen where Alex and Stella sat on bar stools and Jack hopped up onto the counter. I leaned against the counter a few feet from Jack, noticing just how close Rian and this girl were standing. It had to be his girlfriend.

        "What's up?" Zack asked while I yawned quietly. Rian nodded towards the girl on his right, and Zack let out a small 'ah' before his fingers touched my hand to gain my attention. "Lauren, this is Cassadee."

        The smal girl took a step towards me, offering her hand. I smiled, shaking it lightly. She had a pretty smile with full lips. Her pointy nose might have looked unattractive on some, but it looked right on her skinny face. Her eyes were a dark shade of hazel and crinkled on the corners as she grinned.

        "I've heard a lot about you," she said, voice more girly than I might have thought. I raised my eyebrows towards Rian who shrugged while she was still turned towards me. I studied his face, seeing how content he seemed when she stood back near his side, hands crossed over her dranking tank top.

        I had seen him happier when we were in high school, or at least, that's what it seemed like. I remember the way his face would light up when Kara walked into a room. They had so much history with each other and only had been dating for a year and a half. I still didn't understand how things could change so much between the two of them.

        "So, is there a real reason why you guys came barging in," he paused, glancing at the clock before letting out a breath, "at 7:50 at night?"

        "Okay, princess. We won't disturb you next time," Alex laughed once, leaning on the counter. Zack rolled his eyes, hand falling over his mouth while he yawned. "Matt needs us to get together tonight and talk about the spring."

        Zack nodded, running his hand through his hair. I looked up at him, unsure of what they were talking about. "What's next spring?" I asked softly, unsure if it was the right question.

        His eyes met mine from the small distance between us, and I could see how uneasy he was. He cleared his throat, leaning against the counter next to me. His arms crossed over his chest, looking away.

        "We have a tour we need to plan with Hey Monday and a few other bands," he mumbled quietly, and I realized just how quiet it was. Every person here seemed to know besides me, everyone included in this tour. It felt like a flashback to high school all over again.

        I bit the inside of my mouth, nodding once. I tried to ignore the feeling in my chest, the same way I did in high school. I felt like my lungs were on fire. I heard Stella speak up, starting to talk about places to meet up with all the bands for dinner, but I could barely hear past the pulse thumping in my ears.

        It wasn't long before they chose a place, asking who was driving. Zack nudged me, asking if he could drive me to wherever they were going to eat. I met his gaze for a moment, shaking my head.

        "I have class in the morning," I said quietly, picking myself off of the counter. I said short goodbyes to everyone in the room, saying I had to leave. I wouldn't have gone to bed until eleven anyways, but I just felt so stupid. I wasn't sure why it bothered me so much, maybe it was just the simple fact that it was my worst nightmare coming back to haunt me.

        There were one or two protests of my departure before they gave up, allowing me to disappear with my things into the living room and out the door. I searched clumsily through my purse with my hands, walking quickly away from the reality that knocked the wind out of me.

        I hadn't even realized I didn't say goodbye to Zack until he was calling my name from the edge of the parking lot, hand tugging on mine to stop me when I didn't listen. I turned towards him unwillingly, about to ask him what he could possibly want before his lips met mine.

        He didn't pull away, only holding my mouth to his by his hand cupping the sides of my face. I melted into his touch, body leaning into his. Only a few moments later did he move his head back, meeting my gaze. He looked upset, even in the dark light of the parking lot. His eyes were strained, mouth in a tight line. My tongue ran over my bottom lip, unsure of what to say. He opened and closed his mouth before speaking.

        "You -- we -- I know what you were thinking in the house, and just -- please, don't leave like you did last time. I get it if you don't want to be here, or with me, or whatever the fuck we're supposed to call this. I'll learn to deal with it, but at least give me a fighting chance before taking off again, please. Please."

        His thumbs grazed the sides of my cheek, keeping my stare fixed on him. I could barely feel myself breathing, unsrue of what to say. It almost scared me how well he knew me, or knew what I was thinking. I felt myself nod, caving into the way his hazel eyes begged me to promise. I continued to bob my head, leaning forward to press my lips to his once more.