Chapter 44: Dinner

"Hello future college graduate," Zack smiled at me while he opened the door.

        I couldn't wipe the smile off my face, setting my purse on the floor by the door. I let out a deep breath, still beaming from today. I had just left the building that held the majority of my classes at UCLA for the last time. My hands were still shaking from handing Doctor Craven my final exam. No more tests, no more paper, nothing. I was done.

        Graduation was around the corner. It was pushed forward for whatever reason, before Craig would be home. I told him when we were on the phone last week, and he felt bad that he couldn't make it. I told him not to worry; it only gave me a little less stress to figure out who I'd invite because my parents weren't going to be able to make it out. My pick was way easier now.

        I was in bliss, knowing that all my hard work was paying off in a few short days. Nothing was on my mind besides right then, right now. It was the first time in weeks I wasn't worried about the near future. I was happy with where I was at as I wandered into Zack's apartment, and that's as far as my mind would travel.

        "I'm done," I said, letting out a sigh. I covered my mouth with my hand, too excited and happy to think of anything else. He chuckled, shutting the door while I continued to stare off in amazement.

        "I know," he said, barring his teeth at me, fingers gripping my waist. I wrapped my free hand around the back of his neck while he hugged me. "Congratulations."

        "I don't have class ever again." I squealed softly, mouth turned up in the corners. He laughed again, nodding while his hold on my sides loosened, one hand still lingering to guide me into the kitchen. I crossed my hands over my chest, leaning against the counter while he pulled a pot from the pantry. He informed me that morning that he wanted to have dinner at his place, and with my lack of cooking talent, I agreed.

        He filled it with water before placing it on a burner and turning it on. I could see he had other things heating up behind the new pan, but I didn't question what it was. I'd realized he could cook, and I appreciated it more than he would know.

        I lifted myself onto the side of the counter, one of my new favorite seats. I watched him as he stirred something, eyes falling on me. I hadn't realized that the smile was still on my lips until he grinned at me.

        "How'd your last exam go?" he asked curiously, and I shrugged.

        "It wasn't hard. I've studied enough the last few days that I wasn't worried," I said, hands gripping the counter lightly. He nodded, nose ring glinting in the lights of the kitchen. His black v-neck revealed all the tattoos that I hadn't seen prior to this summer. I liked them, especially with all the meanings they held.

        He put the cover on the last pot before setting down the spoon, walking over towards me with a smirk. "I bet the night I helped you study really helped," he said, hands leaning on the counter on both sides of my thighs. I bit the inside of my lip, remembering how much studying didn't get done the night he stopped by.

        I wrapped my legs around his torso, closing the distance between our bodies. "Yeah, that definitely helped me remember everything," I teased, hand touching the fabric of his shirt. He chuckled again, leaning to capture my lips on his. My grip on his shirt tightened, tugging him closer to me. My heart was beating out of my chest while his hands held the sides of my thighs, sliding me to the edge of the counter, melting my body to his.

        It wasn't until we heard the sizzle of water bubbling over the sides of the pots did we break away. Zack let out a breath, and I let my hold on his go while he broke away to the dinner he was trying to make. I could feel my bottom lip was slightly swollen, and my breathing was still labored.

        "So, what's the special occasion?" I asked moments later, referring to the private dinner at his house. I wasn't exactly complaining, because any excuse to be alone with Zack was good enough for me. I guess curiosity got the best of me, it seemed like I did that a lot lately, something I knew Zack did a lot. Maybe he was rubbing off on me.

        "You finished your final exams today," he said simply, but I knew that wasn't it. We were having dinner after my graduation together; we had plans for more important things than me passing a test. Usually Zack's a straight shooter; he doesn't beat around the bus or anything, so it was difficult to figure out what he didn't want to say.

        I watched him while he turned towards me. I raised my eyebrows at him, not saying a single word. He rolled his eyes at me with a smile, turning down the burner before putting the cover back on.

        "You're a worse liar than I am," I said with a smirk, crossing my ankles together. He let out a breath, shaking his head.

        "That's impossible," He joked, mouth turning up on one side. I slid off the counter, wandering over to hsi side, peering at the food. Zack was about to reach for a spoon he placed on the side of the sink when I grabbed a hold of his waist band, fingers curling to the inside of the fabric, knuckles brushing his hip bone and boxers.

        He paused, turning back to me with his eyebrows up. I looked up into his eyes, our chests touching from his movement. "Why am I really here, Zack?"

        He paused for a moment, unsure of what to say. He assumed that I would drop it, because I always did. I would just let the idea leave my mind, not wanting to push buttons. It was different with Zack now; I was a different person now. I really waned to know exactly what was on his mind.

        "I just wanted to have dinner with you, that's all," he mumbled softly, hand touching my hip. I turned my head to the side, still unconvinced. He seemed to realize that wasn't good enough, because his mouth turned to a straight line, strained at the conversation he wanted to avoid. "The most you can guarantee is three days, Laur. I want to take advantage of that time."

        My heart ached at the realization that I didn't want to think about today. Today was only supposed to be happiness, nothing having to do with my fucked up head and why I can't just choose who I want.

        "I'm sorry, you know that, right?" I whispered, biting the inside of my mouth. I leaned my forehead against the side of his shoulder, avoiding his intense gaze. "We both know how screwed up I am, but I'm still so sorry."

        He lifted my chin with his fingers, thumb brushing against the side of my cheek. He gave me an attempt of a smile, tilting his head to the side while shaking his head.

        "You're not screwed up," he muttered quietly. "I get it, don't be sorry."

        I let out a small sigh while he bent down to kiss me gently. My grasp on his shirts loosened, touching his side lightly. I didn't want to think about it anymore. I just wanted to be with Zack.

        If that involves blocking out all other thoughts besides him, then so be it.