Chapter 17: Assume

Zack didn't hang around much longer after that. We had fragments of conversations, but not enough time to have any really serious discussions before a customer came in, glancing around for help as I stood up suddenly.

        "I've got to go," I mumbled, pushing the chair in quickly. Zack nodded and stood up too, walking easily towards the counter as I rushed to get around it, apologizing quietly to the middle-aged woman who had just come in. She gave me a warm smile, waving her haid to brush it off.

        "You've got a minute, dear. I still have to figure out what  I want," she said, blue eyes focused on the menus above my head. I hesitated a moment before looking at Zack again, who was standing a few inches from the counter, arms crossed over his chest, head and body angled to look out the windows.

        "Zack," I said softly, glancing once more at the customer who was still staring at the menus, squinting slightly through her glasses, before meeting Zack's eyes.

        "I'll see you around?" I said, stating it as more of a question, even though I knew we'd both want to see each other again, and it was bound to hapen again whether we planned it or not. He nodded immediately after as a response.

        "Yeah, you will," he added as he nodded. I bit my lip as he stood there for a moment, our meeting coming to an awkward close. I couldn't help feeling that if there wasn't a counter between us I would have wanted to hug him, even more than I did now.

        With neither of us saying anything else, Zack turned to walk away. I watched him take a few steps, my brain working rapidly. "Wait!" I called after him, and he stopped immediately, turning and taking a step towards me. I searched clumsily for a napkin, slapping it on the counter and grabbing a pen. Zack's shadow fell over me as I tilted my head down slightly, scribbling the address to my apartment at the top of the napkin and my phone number across the bottom.

        "Here," I breathed out, holding it out to him. He took it, raising an eyebrow as he read it. "Can you give Stella my address, and tell her I get out of work at six?" I asked.

        "Sure," He said, folding the napkin once before tucking it into his pocket.

        "Great, thanks," I smiled, and he nodded once before backing up a step and walking towards the door again. "Oh," I said, stopping him again. He turned, but didn't step towards me. "The number, uh, if you ever want to call me or something," I mumbled, watching Zack's lips turn up slightly.

        "Bye, Lauren," he smiled, and I barely whispered the word bye, waving slightly as he turned and left. I couldn't help but feel like I'd kept the woman waiting, and that she'd already known what she wanted when she came in. She gave me a kind smile as I moved to stand in front of her again.

        "I'm so sorry..." I started again, but she stopped me with another informal wave of her hand.

        "You don't interrupt love, even for a much needed cofee.." She said softly. I felt myself blush at her assumption that Zack and I were together, and in love.

        "Oh, uh, we're not together.." I said softly, laughing, almost uncomfortably, but she continued to give me a knowing smile, like she'd seen enough in her life to know that once there had been something strong between us.

        "It's not buy business to pry," she said, and then glanced at the menu again before ordering. I fixed it quickly, still feelng bad about keeping her waiting. I handed it to her and took the money, she paid with a twenty. When I went to hand her change, I heard her voice and looked up to see she'd already started to walk away.

        "Keep the change," she said, and then was out the door. I stared for a moment, feeling unsure about what had happened.

        I couldn't see why she would have assumed Zack and I were together. We'd been acting friendly, as far as I could see, but maybe it was because of her perspective. She had probably seen us sitting together and maybe our body language told her something I didn't see, I don't know.

        Maybe it was because he had been here, and we were sitting and talking when I was supposed to be behind the counter, working. I guess peopel could assume we were together because of that, since I wasn't sanding lazily behind the counter, staring out the window or absentmindedly cleaning the counter like I normally did when there were no customers. They didn't know us, they could only assume. We were just friends, or at least, working towards being friends again.

        That's what we wanted. It's what I told myself I wanted and it seemed that's what Zack wanted. He said he wanted to see me more, and I couldn't think that he'd want to try and fix our relationship past friendship. I would think it almost pointless, but shocking, if he had any ounce of feelings left for me, after taking off like I did. I was sure he was over me, and I was almost positive he thought I was with Craig. Stella had most likely assumed that, which means that that was what she would have told the guys.

        I was fine with that, it was better for both of us, considering that I was kind of with Craig, or I was before he left, at least. Where we stood now was a mystery, especially after our phone call. 

        I hadn't heard from him, not that I'd been expecting to. Even if we hadn't gotten in that argument I probably wouldn't have heard from him. I knew he'd be out with people, traveling around, too busy to get caught up in a call. The phone call I had from him the other day was a surprise, and I knew now that it would be longer before I heard from him again. I didn't want to think about how long.

        He was mad at me for what I said, and he had every right to be. If he didn't call me soon, I would end up calling him, waiting until he finally answered so we could talk. I wanted to apologize for what I said, but if he asked about Zack, I couldn't tell him.

        I couldn't tell him about today, or any other day I'd see him again. I'd be lying to him, and in a way, he shouldn't care considering our open relationship, but Zack was the one person Craig didn'tw ant me to be with, even as friends.