Chapter 34: Bridesmaids

Rian wasn't himself throughout the entire meal, and Kara tried her best to not ler her emotions get the best of her. It was obvious as they were seated on either side of Jack that even being close to one another was a problem, even if Jack was trying to force the idea out of their minds with his constant chatter and sexual jokes.

        "That was really good Stell," Kara comented, wiping her mouth on her napkin. Stella smiled proudly while glancing down at everyone's empty plates that were once filled with chicken parmesan, assorted vegetables and bread.

        No one really needed to tell Stella that her cooking was great. We all knew. I remembered that she used to make dinner for herself and her dad basically every night back in high school. I learned that over the summer that the guys were away and we hung out together. It was something she had a knack for, but didn't use very often when the guys were recording or on tour for obvious reasons.

        "Good job, love," Alex smiled, patting her knee under the table. She looked at him with another genuine smile while Jack reached for the last roll.

        Zack's hand was around the back of my chair, fingers touching the side of my shoulder when he shifted his body. I couldn't take my mind off the obvious tension between the two people I was sure were going to get married. I remember high school, seeing the same way Alex and Stella were now. They were the couple eveyone wanted to be, what the hell happened?

        "I think the Orioles games is on," Rian gave a small smile before excusing himself from the table. Kara opened her mouth to say something, but closed it almost as quickly. I could see her eyes follow him as he walked to the dishwasher to leave his plate an then out of the room with a steady pace.

        "I want to check the score," Alex said stretching in his seat; he turned towards Stella with a smile. "I'll get the dishes after."

        "Sure you will," she rolled her eyes with a small grin. He chuckled, pressing his mouth to hers before standing up. Jack followed in suit, kissing Stella's cheek sloppily with a few words of appreciation. Zack removed his head from behind me before standing up with a smile in my direction before retreating with the guys.

        Zack was sure to shut the door behind himself, and when the small thud indicated that, Kara let out a long sigh. "Well, that was better than last time," she said softly, giving Stella a weary smile. Stella returned the same gesture, shaking her head.

        "I guess," she sighed, pushing herself off of her seat while grabbing her and Alex's plates. Kara mimicked her actions with Jack's plate, and I followed suit with mine and Zack's. I didn't dare open my mouth, scared to ask the wrong question.

        "Where's his girlfriend?" Kara asked, and I could tell by the sound of her voice that she felt guilty. She probably tought that she was interrupting all their lives, the same way I thought I was.

        "They're on Warped Tour, but they have a break next week," Stella opened the dishwasher again, putting in the plates before taking ours. "I wouldn't have asked you to come if Cassadee was going to be here, that's too much."

        "I know, but I wanted to make sure," Kara gave her another half-hearted smile. Stella's mouth turned up on one side for half a moment before falling back down. I was almost surprised to not hear her tell Kara and Rian to just get back together already, but I'm sure I missed that stage in the break up. It's been over a year; Stella probably stated her opinion two days after it happened.

        I guess there are some things other people can't help you with; you have to figure it out for yourself.

        "How's the wedding planning going?" Kara asked, leaning against the counter next to where Stella was filling dirty pans with warm water and soap. She shrugged with a small laugh.

        "Well, if I actually started, I'd have something to tell you," she smiled, mood changing quickly to the thought of her big day. I noticed the way that her eyes lit up, reflecting on her best friend, the emotion contagious. "It's not like we're getting married tomorrow, so there's no rush."

        "Well, if Lauren and I are going to have to wear some god-ugly bridesmaid's dresses that you pick out in desperation at the last minute, I think we'll have a problem, right Laur?"

        I blinked multiple times at the comment, unsure if I'd heard that right. A bridesmaid, me?

        "Wait -- what?" I asked, hands folding over my chest tightly. My back pressed to the side of the counter, looking diagionally towards Kara and Stella. They were talking so casually about something I wasn't even aware of. My heart swelled at the thought, not sure what to say.

        "Well yeah, why wouldn't you be?" She asked with another grin. "Unless you try and run away again. I'd really love it if you were."

        A smile broke out across my mouth, something I wasn't able to contain. I let out a laugh, cheeks flushing at the thought. I didn't understand how she'd want someone like me to be part of her wedding, but I was honored, honestly. I'd never been offered something like that before.

        "It'll be so cute with Zack and Alex's groomsmen and you as a bridesmaid," Kara said happily, thinking about it. "I think it's adorable when couples are a part of a wedding party."

        I didn't want to think about how much I liked the idea of Zack on the other side of the altar, mouthing things to me in the ceremony, or the way he'd pull me close for a slow dance, reminding me of our senior prom, matching colors and all. I mostly didn't want to hope for the future when I could barely guarantee a few weeks.

        As much as I didn't want to admit it, I'd barely thought ahead to when Craig returns to the United States. I don't know what's going to happen when I saw him, or what I would feel. I didn't want to think about it either. I was so happy with where I was right now; it would just take away from my time with Zack.

        "I'm happy that you're around, I thought that Zack would never find someone that he liked as much as he liked you," Kara said, looking at me. I smiled, feeling my years go hot at her comment.

        "Embarrassing me as always, Kara," Zack sighed while walking into the kitchen. He walked to the fridge, opening it and grabbing a water before closing it once again. He twisted off the cap and brought it to his lips.

        "Something's never change," she gave him a cheeky grin while he rolled his eyes, wiping his lips against his arm. He continued to walk towards in my direction, coming to a stop in front of me. His free hand lingered on my hip while he looked into my eyes.

        "You ready to go?" he murmured softly, face close to mine. I glanced at the clock above the stove, seeing that it was almost ten o'clock. I did have to wake up early for my classes in the morning.

        "Yeah, are you?" I whispered, he nodded before pulling away from me, announcing our departure. Stella didn't argue, realizing my early schedule the next day. Jack stormed into the kitchen at the sound, scooping me into a hug. I said by goodbye's, but Kara reached forward to hug me the same way she did when I first walked into the house.

        "Glad to see you again, Laur," she said quietly into my ear. I smiled, arms tightening around her. "I know everyone missed you."

        "Me too."