Chapter 65: Call

Zack's room had realy become my new place to be by myself. When he was in the studio and I was trying to learn more about the band, I would sit on his bed int he same style I did when I used to study. My old, beaten up laptop would be in front of my legs, papers spread amongst the comforter and sheets. It was so easy to get lost while being in his room, the same way I was this day.

        Zack had been out a lot more lately, finishing up the last of their recording. It was hard to find time to see each other, even without working. I would be with Stella, or with Matt at Hopeless Records trying to get everything sorted out. By the time Zack got home, I was alseep and usually by the time I got up, he was already gone. It wasn't too big a deal, I just missed him.

        I was nervous about my new job to say the least. The classes I took wouldn't be enough to make me successful. It wouldn't even help me in the slightest of situations. When I told Matt everything I learned he snorted and laughed as a response. He continued to tell me what I learned in college would never really apply, the only way for me to understand was to get out and do it myself.

        So, when the door creaked open to the bedroom, I hadn't even noticed. I was so engrossed in listening to A Lovely Broken's songs, reading all I could in article reviews and in papers, and reading off their social networking sites. There was so much for me to learn in only a few months. I knew we had way more time that I made it out to be, but I wanted to prepare myself.

        When Zack's hand landed on the top of my computer and pushed it closed, I jumped. My eyes averted to him while he smiled at me, shaking my head.

        "You've been on this computer since I left this morning, haven't you?" he asked, picking it up and moving it to the desk. I smiled at him, running my fingers through my hair, straightening my back, stretching my arms over my head.

        "I took a shower, bathroom breaks and ate lunch too," I grinned, letting out a breath and hunching slightly again. I hadn't realized how tired my eyes were until I pulled myself away from the screen. "You're home early."

        "We finished today," he said quietly while sitting. I felt my mouth turn up in the corners while he met my gaze from a short distance.

        "That's great, how'd it go?" I turned my torso towards him, but instead of answering, he leaned forward and pressed his mouth to mine. I laughed lightly, losing my balance and falling back onto the bed, fingers touching his cheeks. "That good, huh?"

        "I missed you," he breathed against my lips before kissing me again. My face flushed and my heart was erratic in my chest. I sighed, arching my back off the bed to touch my chest to his.

        "Me too," I whispered, hands moving to his hair to pull him closer. I hadn't realized how much I was aching for his touch until now. I didn't like going a week without seeing him, and still remembering these past few years without him was enough to make me go insane.

        "Did you have dinner yet?" he trailed down my jaw, leaving burning marks against my throat. I couldn't even put together a sentence, only focusing on my obnoxious and embarrassing, irregular breathing.

        "Uh, n-no?" I managed to stutter out after a pause. He chuckled, esophagus rumbling against my collarbone. He pulled away, seeming to have more control over him than me. He moved back to my lips, kissing me slowly. It lasted a few seconds before he pulled away, eyes liquid chocolate.

        "Grilled cheese?" he asked, hand sholding him up on either side of my head. I pouted, shaking my head while pushing my hands through his curls, lifting myself off the bed to kiss him again. He laughed softly, responding only by returning the gesture before moving away again, "Ham and swiss?"

        "Grilled cheese," I sighed, knowing he wasn't going to give up. He smiled, lips touching mine only for a moment before leaning away and moving out of the bedroom.

        I rubbed my hands over my eyes with a laugh. It completely and utterly amazed me that he could just get up and leave when his girlfriend is asking him to stay in bed. I had never been near a guy that could do that, and it was something about Zack I liked more than I thought I would.

        I managed to shuffle off of the bed, looking in the mirror while brushing my hair quickly. I wiped under my eyes and wandered out into the kitchen where Zack was putting a pan on the burner. He looked at me, glancing at my attire that he hadn't noticed previously.

        "I should've asked if I could wear these, sorry," I apologized, remembering the way I tossed on his UCLA sweats and t-shirt after getting out of the shower. He smirked at me before shrugging and turnign to the bread and cheese next to the stove.

        "I like it when you wear my clothes," he said simply, fixing two sandwiches before placing them in the pan, sizzling at the touch. My neck turned warm whie leaning against the counter next to his side. He nudged me with his elbow lightly, grinning down at the food he was preparing. I crossed my arms over my chest comfortably.

        "How was creeping on the Facebook all day?" he teased, knowing exactly what I was doing. I rolled my eyes at him, nudging him back.

        "I wasn't creeping. I was studying," I said in an obvious tone. He laughed once, shaking his head.

        "I know Matt gave you contact numbers. Why don't you just call them?" he questioned, flipping the sandwiches. I shrugged, fingers trailing over his hand that was on the counter near my hand.

        "It's sort of an awkward conversation, don't you think?" I laughed, looking up to meet his eyes. He shrugged, hand moving to rub my forearm lightly.

        "I think you should. It's just a call," he said, hazel eyes finding mine.

        I paused, reading his expression before sighing, defeated. "Fine, fine," I muttered softly, reaching into the pocket of my sweatpants to grab my phone. I unlocked it, remembering I'd added the contact days ago. I opened it up, finger lingering over the call button before pressing it.

        I lifted it to my ear, crossing my arms over my chest while I listened to it ring. Zack's fingers curled to the fabric of the seats, folding to the top, touching my hip bone. My stomach bubbled while anticipating each ring.

        "Ello?" a voice cut through, a raspy girl's voice. I faltered for a moment, eyes going wide.

        "Uh -- yeah, hello," I finalls spoke, clearing my throat. "Is this Natalia Rislove?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

        "Yeah, this is 'er," she said, seeming confused. I sucked in a breath, noticing the way Zack was smiling at me, inviting and happy while I finally booked my first job. I licked my bototm lip with a smile, biting it softly whle he pushed his knuckles to my side, prompting me to speak.

        "Hi, my name is Lauren Baker, and I'm a new manager at Hopeless Records. Do you have a minute to talk?"