Chapter 24: Missed

We were sitting in the front of my apartment in his SUV, the sun set far beyond the hills of California. I leaned back against the headrest of the passengers' seat, looking over at him with my hand on the door handle. I was contemplating what to do next, it semed like neither of us were in a rush to move. I really didn't want to get out, even if I was the one that insisted on leaving the beach.

        I guess it was a panic moment. He was just so close, everything remnded me so much of high school. His dazzling eyes, his light brown hair, the strong smell of summer air, everything. With the center console separating us, I was able to clear my head. Why couldn't we just be friends with each other? Why did I have to make things so complicated?"

        "Do you -- uh, want to come up?" I asked softly, biting the inside of my lip. It was never hard to make out his expression in the lack of light. I could never miss that gleaming smile, the white seeming to reflect off nothing, taking my breath way, exactly like it did seven years ago.

        "Yeah, why not?" he nodded, reaching for the ignition to pull out his keys. I let out a breath, opening my door slowly. I reached down at my feet for my bag, pulling it around my shoulder as I climbed out. I pressed the door closed, meeting him around the front. I glanced into the black-pit I call a purse, hoping I'd be able to find my keys. I barely noticed that he opened the door for me as I shuffled through my things.

        The side of my arm burhsed Zack's, causing me to look up at him for only a moment. I glanced back into my bag almost as soon as our ees met, pushing the absurd thoughts from my head. I dug my hand inside, biting my cheek in concentration as my fingers grazed the metal of my keys. I had a satisfied look on my lips when I gripped them, clanking against one another obnoxiously.

        Zack rolled his eyes at me with a grin, following me as I began up the stairs at the far end of the lobby. There were no elevators in this place, as much as I hated it. He didn't say anything, only watching where I stopped and where I was headed to keep pace.

        We were at my apartment within three minutes, the silence between us natural. I stuck the key in the lock, twisting it while glancing towards him. "It's nothing special," I said softly, repeating the same thing that I had to Stella weeks before. I'd seen the outside of where his apartment was, I could only imagine the inside of it compared to this place.

        I pushed the door open, allowing him to walk in first. He only nodded as he stepped inside. I flipped on the lights, noticing him take note of everything inside. I shut the door behind myself, pressing it with my foot to make sure it closed all the way. I turned to see Zack standing in the small kitchen to the right, glancing around to the open space and intot he little living room.

        "I like it," he said smiling, leaning against the side of the white tiled counter. I shrugged, letting out a small breath after setting my things on the counter next to him, glancing around my tiny abode.

        "It works for us, I guess," I mumbled sofrly, moving towards the refrigerator to grab Vitamin Water. I pulled out two, not bothering to ask. He wouldn't have told me if he was dying of thirst anyway. I placed it on the counter, and he took it with a small smile.

        "So, are you going to give me the full tour, or what?" he asked with a teasing grin while opening his drink and bringing it to his mouth. I rolled my eyes, opening my hands wide at my side, bottle in my fingers.

        "Listen carefully, it's easy to get lost in here," I said slowly and sarcastically. I pointed to the floor beneath me. "This is the kitchen," I moved four feet to the left, and five feet forward before my eyes focused on his again. "This is the living room," I said, glancing up to his face again. I didn't wait enough time to notice his reaction, but he cut me off anyways.