Chapter 28: You (Lauren's POV)

I still hadn't heard from Zack since he left my apartment a few days ago. It worried me, because I'd more or less made up my mind in the last three days and I also knew that Stella had talked to Zack. She'd called the day after everything happened, wanting to know if I was free to do something that afternoon. I'd turned her down without real reason, and she immediately knew something was wrong. She always did, I didn't now how, but even over the phone she could tell something was up, and she was able to get it out of me.

        I hadn't asked her to talk to Zack, and she hadn't said she was going to, but I knew she did. She was curious as to what he'd decided, or hadn't decided to do. She was just as lucky she had some idea of what he'd been thinking the past few days.

        When she called this morning, I jumped to answer, although all she did was ask if I wanted to stop by the recording studio later that day. I said yes, cautiously, but when I started to ask her about he conversation with Zack, she quickly said she had to go, and hung up as the word "wait" barely passed my lips. It didn't make me feel any better, but I'd already said I would go, and I wanted to see Zack, even if he had changed his mind.

        I made it to the sudio a little after lunch time, opening the door and glancing towards the ladies behind the front desk with a smile. They were aware of who I was, even if I'd only been a few times. I was walking past them, arms crossed over my chest, when one of the ladies started to speak. I stopped to look, knowing she was addressing me, the only other person in the room.

        "Excuse me? All Time Low isn't back there right now. They left an hour or so ago, but should be back any minute," one of the women was saying to me, watching me through her glasses.

        "Uh, is it okay if i wait back there?" I asked softly, pointing behind me. The woman nodded and then looked back down at whatever she was doing. I turned, heading back to the studio.

        Stella told me that they were going to be there all day, more than likely ordering food so they wouldn't have to leave. She probably thought they'd be back in time or she'd just forgotten to call me and tell me.

        Either way, I was in the studio now. I set my bag on the end of the couch, and looked around instead of sitting. I didn't just want to sit around, waiting for somebody to come back.

        My eyes landed on the soundboard, buttons and dials lined up all along it. It looked so complicated. I walked over, lowering myself onto one of the chairs in front of me. I looked at all the bussons, reading the labels above each one.

        I leaned back against the chair, staring into the booth. There were instruments lined up along the back, waiting to be used by whoever was in there. Wondering who would be going into the studio when everyone returned led me to thinking about Zack, and then about if he'd be okay with me being here.

        I thought I should have assumed he would be, since Stella would have had to tell the guys I'd be coming today. But, maybe he really wasn't okay, but didn't want to say so. Or, he did want me here. I wouldn't know, though, because I hadn't talked to him since he told me to "sleep on it."

        I sighed, running my fingers over my face. I heard the door open behind me and I spun in the chair, dropping my hands to my side. I expected an entire group of people, probably talking or laughing over something that happened. What I hadn't expected was to see just Zack, in jeans and a t-shirt slowing, as his eyes landed on me. I bit my lip, watching him shut the door behind him.

        "Hey, Lauren. What are you doing here?" he asked, gripping his keys. Not mad, just curious.

        "Stella -- uh, asked me to come by. She didn't say you were going to lunch," I muttered, fingers pulling lightly at the hem of my shirt. He pushed his keys into the pocket of his jeans as I answered, nodding slightly.

        "Huh, she didn't mention you were coming. I could've picked you up," he said, taking steps closer. "You could've come out to eat with us instead of waiting here," I spun the chair around as he neared, only a few steps away, to face the soundboard as he stopped beside me.

        "It's alright, I just got here, and I already ate. I was just looking around at the board." I said, gesturing with my hands. "It looks confusing. I probably don't know what half of these things do."

        Zack chuckled softly, sitting in the other chair. I stayed facing forward, but his chair was angled towards me, and he was leaning forward, elbows resting momentarily on his legs.

        He pointed out a few of the buttons, giving brief explanations, his arm moving closer to mine. I listened, but only because I wanted to hear his voice.

        He hadn't brought up three days ago, and as much as I wanted to know what was going to happen, I didn't want to be the one to bring it up. I shifted in my chair, elbow resting on the arm rest, my body leaning that way, towards Zack. My movement caused his arm to burhs mine and I turned my head, only slightly, looking from the corner of my eye. He stopped talking and looked, still bent forward, and folded his arms together in front of him.

        "I guess you needed your own time to figure out what you wanted," I muttered, looking down at my hands and feet, anything but his eyes.

        "Yeah, I did," he said honestly, his voice giving nothing away. "I think it kind of depends on what you decided. Do you know what you want?" I felt my heart speed up slightly, knowing that he'd decided he wanted to give us another chance.

        His fingers wrapped around my arm rest, pulling my chair closer, so the edge was touching his knees. He was either really hopeful, or assumed that I hadn't changed my mind from what I'd showed him I wanted when I was asking him not to leave that night.

        I looked at him finally, his hazel eyes so close to mine. He smiled when I looked at him, making my own lips turn up slightly.

        "I think you already know," I said softly, watchign his smile turn into a smirk, as his hands fell onto his legs, palms open, resting on his knees.        

        "How can I? You haven't told me," he teased, eyes gleaming. I rolled my eyes, shaking my head softy.

        I turned to him, and whispered, "You," and placed my hands on the back of his neck, bringing his lips to mine. He was grinning against my mouth, the same way I was smiling, both of us satisfied with what we had.